Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Speakers Not Working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2014, 11:22 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Rear Speakers Not Working

I have a 2002 Cruiser with the AM/FM/Cassette/CD stereo. I just happened to notice that my left rear speaker isn't working at all and the right rear speaker is only working at about half its normal volume. (?)

Where should I start inspecting ? Check the speakers first or would it be the stereo itself ? I'm thinking it's not the speakers as one still works, only at a reduced volume.

Thanks,
Mark.

Last edited by markroach; 22 Oct 2014 at 01:27 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 11:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Speakers Not Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by markroach View Post
I have a 2002 Cruiser with the AM/FM/Cassette/CD stereo. I just happened to notice that my left rear speaker isn't working at all and the right rear speaker isn't working at all. (?)

Where should I start inspecting ? Check the speakers first or would it be the stereo itself ? I'm thinking it's not the speakers as one still works, only at a reduced volume.

Check the speakers themselves...pull the door panels, find a working speaker, unplug it & move it from door to door.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 22 Oct 2014, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I have a 2002 Cruiser with the AM/FM/Cassette/CD stereo. I just happened to notice that my left rear speaker isn't working at all and the right rear speaker isn't working at all. (?)

Thanks,
Mark.
Isn't there a front/rear balance adjustment? Look there first.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Oct 2014, 11:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks,
Mark.
There's a chance the speakers are bad. The left rear speaker was bad in my 2001 limited. The back speakers on the 2001 and 2002 are different than later models. They are usually painted black and the magnets are narrower but thicker. But the later speakers will work and appear to be the same quality. I replaced my bad one with one out of a 2003. All I've seen will say "premium" on them.

The best way to check if it is the speaker or something else is to use another speaker or mutlimeter. It's always possible that you have a wiring or stereo head issue. But I've seen many a speaker die in older cars.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Oct 2014 at 12:02 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 01:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks guys. That's how I fully discovered the problem was by playing with the F/R and L/R controls.

Found it odd that one rear speaker was only capable of about half its normal volume and the other was completely non-functional. Sorry, I originally typed that both rear speakers were not functioning. The left rear does not work at all and the right rear works only at about half volume to what it should be.

Mark.

Last edited by markroach; 22 Oct 2014 at 01:30 pm.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 04:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just got home from work and had a closer inspection (listen). The right rear speaker is at about half the volume it should be and if I listen carefully, with the volume turned up to maximum, I can just hear the left rear speaker.

So, the speakers ARE functioning to some extent - as opposed to no sound at all. Will damaged speakers diminish in sound like this, or is this something happening with the stereo unit itself ?

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I could be either. A weak ground (audio return wire) might cause a working but not performing speaker. So could a bad amp in the stereo head. And of course, a bad speaker can do the same.

Without putting eyes on the situation, I also suggest to do what is easy and cheap first. Try the weak speaker on the other side and see if it does the same thing. And if you have any other speaker, try that. You can even cut up a cheap pair of earphones and tie in that way to see if you get sound.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 08:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the ideas - I'll give them a go this week-end.

Is there a trick to getting the rear trim panel off ? Isn't obvious what holds it on, and I have an aversion to breaking things ....

Mark.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 04:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

UPDATE ....

I had a couple good rear chrysler speakers I had scavenged from my old Sebring, so I hooked those up to the two rear terminals. Both speaker provide decent volume now, but they sound like an AM radio with hardly any bass response at all (they sounded good in my Sebring).

This stereo doesn't have a separate amp for the rear speakers somewhere does it ? My Sebring had a separate factory amp under the rear package tray.

So, with this info in hand, any thoughts ? Still sound maybe like a bad stereo itself ?

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 03:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

UPDATE II ....

Friend of mine loaned me a good stereo unit to try. I removed mine and installed his. No difference in sound, so it's not the stereo itself.

Still scratching my head ....

Mark.