PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad gas mileage

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2014, 02:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bad gas mileage

Over the summer I bought my daughter a 2007 touring convertible turbo with 65000 miles. I changed the antifreeze, had the transmission fluid flushed at the dealer put new Bosh wires on and NGK spark plugs gapped at 42 and changed the air filter. The car is getting worse mileage than before I did all this. The exaust also smells a little rich. It seems either I screwed up with the plugs or disconnected a sensor when I did the plugs. The computer is only showing 9 or 10 mpg and that's with me driving real easy. I can see the MPG go down 6 or 7 10ths while stopped at a light. Never seen that before on a car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Al
Old 23 Oct 2014, 02:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad gas mileage

Al, welcome to the forum. You can't go by the computer to find out what your really getting for the gas mileage. The PT isn't good, but not as low as what it's telling you. Try going to the same service station to fill up each time, keep accurate records and fill up about 5 or more times to get a true reading. Let the pump go till it shuts off itself and pull the pump out.

Want To Track Your Real-World Gas Mileage? Here
cruserdad1976 likes this.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In the last few weeks I have had several customers and friends call me about their MPG going down. Many states are now on "winter" blend fuels so your MPG will go down from what it was during the summer. Keep that in mind.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the welcome. Pretty much read every old post on this forum over the summer, but never joined. Anyway the computer was showing better gas mileage before I did the work and also I did not notice the rich exhaust smell. I remember a topic about a possible injector leaking down that might cause these problems.
Al
Old 23 Oct 2014, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alka2710 View Post
Thanks for the welcome. Pretty much read every old post on this forum over the summer, but never joined. Anyway the computer was showing better gas mileage before I did the work and also I did not notice the rich exhaust smell. I remember a topic about a possible injector leaking down that might cause these problems.
Al
I would first recommend getting your CANbus Diagnostic connector scanned. You will find appropriate DTCs.

I would not be surprised that one relates to H02(s) in fault condition.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i tryed to post to check the 02 sensor as well 7-10 is way lower almost liek if you were running that E85 stuff
Old 23 Oct 2014, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
i tryed to post to check the 02 sensor as well 7-10 is way lower almost liek if you were running that E85 stuff
Not you...

I can always tell the less than informed users of E85 fuel. Notice I say "fuel". Many that use it for performance always mention the loss in MPG. But in reality this is inaccurate. Because E85 is primarily denatured ethanol fuel it takes more to run an engine that gasoline. So the better wording would be what your MPG using E85 would be and than compare it to averaged consumption over a 6 month or longer period specifically the vehicle it is used and and other of the same vehicle.

Another way would be to compare the difference between fuel economy of E85 and the race fuels like VP Racing fuel or SOCAL racing fuels. Then you would see that there is very little difference between the use of a race fule and E85 regarding MPG except in price.

Go to any auto forum and what the E85 expert members talking about this.

Its actually funny and I am sure that in the real world parking lot fist fights have come about from the debates on the subject and use of E85 fuels vs other fuels?
Old 23 Oct 2014, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

im sure what you say is true
all i actually knwo about E 85 was on my Dream Bucket list i was on my Gold wing up by Mt Rushmore and i accidently put E85 in the bike--keeping in mine it is a 6 cyl motor pushing 1800 cc and OMG it ran like crap the mpg was a l;ittle over 20-- on normal gas I get right at 40 the only good thing was its only a 4.75 gallon tank so as soon as i ran half out i refilled it was way better but ID say it took 3-4 tanks to get back to running normal--but then the bike is not set up for E 85 I was just worried i was going to really screw up the bike and i was a LONG LONG way from home
Old 23 Oct 2014, 04:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

that was why i said the mpg was more liike running E 85 on the bike it was less than half
Old 23 Oct 2014, 05:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
im sure what you say is true
all i actually knwo about E 85 was on my Dream Bucket list i was on my Gold wing up by Mt Rushmore and i accidently put E85 in the bike--keeping in mine it is a 6 cyl motor pushing 1800 cc and OMG it ran like crap the mpg was a l;ittle over 20-- on normal gas I get right at 40 the only good thing was its only a 4.75 gallon tank so as soon as i ran half out i refilled it was way better but ID say it took 3-4 tanks to get back to running normal--but then the bike is not set up for E 85 I was just worried i was going to really screw up the bike and i was a LONG LONG way from home
If you leave E85 in the metal tank it will eventually remove the tank coating and the tank will rust. Most all E85 fuel lines and tanks are NOT metal.

Talking to a gas tanker delivery driver, he said govt wanted to up the amount to E80 [I] believe and was put down because cars would not start in winter, and would not run good over all.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh