PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Water in Oil

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2014, 11:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Water in Oil

Replaced head gasket because of bad over heating. Rebuilt head. Never had oil in the coolant before the top end job. Any idea where I might have goofed? Didnt drive it after the gasket job. Just ran it some to check it out. Just pulled the valve cover and that is how I found the water. Not much but enough to cause problems.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 12:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Water in Oil

Did you buy the gasket at the dealer? If not did you compare the old gasket with the new gasket before installing making sure all holes and slots are the same?
Did you torque the head using the proper head installation procedure? Did you do the torque procedure twice?
Before you re installed the head did you check to make it wasn't warped more than the tolerance allowed?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 26 Oct 2014 at 12:37 pm.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 12:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

all of the above
Old 26 Oct 2014, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatgo1 View Post
Replaced head gasket because of bad over heating. Rebuilt head. Never had oil in the coolant before the top end job. Any idea where I might have goofed? Didnt drive it after the gasket job. Just ran it some to check it out. Just pulled the valve cover and that is how I found the water. Not much but enough to cause problems.
It may just be residue water/oil that spilled or mixed during your head pull off?

Without at least starting the engine and running it up to operating temperature for a while it is hard to really know?

Many times if there is water in the crankcase it will vaporize and be pulled out through the PCV system. But it does take a little while and the engine must be at operating temperature. If the oil is in the water than you may need to do a chemical flushing of the cooling system to clean it out.

And to be clear your are saying water in the oil and not oil in the water. There is a difference!

There really just needs to be more information to continue with a good line of advise for you.
dalandon likes this.

Last edited by NitroPT; 26 Oct 2014 at 12:53 pm.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 01:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just to help out with some information about the 2.4 engine regarding head warping. The chances of an actual warped head on a 2.4 PT Cruiser are very rare. This is because this engine utilizes a MLS or Multiple Layers Steel head gasket. The 2.4 will lift under pressure and this type of gasket will continue to maintain a seal between engine and head. In a case that the head lifts beyond the gasket sealing specification the gasket will blow. Rarely will a head warp like engines not using this type of head gasket. The head contains two camshafts that are held in place in the camshaft journal and camshaft journal caps which are both aluminum with no bearings. If the head on a 2.4 were to actually warp under the worst case scenario it would twist the head and severely damage the cam journals camshaft and other valve-train components. Another extremely rare reported event with a 2.4 engine.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 01:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Right now it looks like both water in oil and maybe some oil in the radiator. The head was milled flat when rebuild and the cam and caps look good. I am going to pressure test the cooling system as soon as I can and change the oil. I was thinking the same about fluids mixing as I took thing apart. I cleaned the heck out of the inside of the valve cover before I put in back on. When I took it off I found some milky goo on the under side of the valve cover and around the top of the head.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 01:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Did you buy the gasket at the dealer? If not did you compare the old gasket with the new gasket before installing making sure all holes and slots are the same?
Did you torque the head using the proper head installation procedure? Did you do the torque procedure twice?
Before you re installed the head did you check to make it wasn't warped more than the tolerance allowed?
Got the felpro gasket and I did hold it to the old one. Very carefully follwed the torque steps.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 01:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you change the oil after you did the head gasket replacement?
Did the shop that did the head rebuild say what the process was when rebuilding the head? I am wondering if somehow they might have dropped the head when rebuilding it or even gave you a different head. When I went to buy my PT Cruiser they switched the one I test drove after I pulled out my warranty paperwork from one of my old cars and said I am ready to fill out the warranty paperwork for the PT Cruiser I agree to buy. I notice the PT Cruiser was different because there was no scratches on the dash and on one spot on the outside fender. So anything is possible.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 26 Oct 2014 at 01:45 pm.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Did you change the oil after you did the head gasket replacement?
Did the shop that did the head rebuild say what the process was when rebuilding the head? I am wondering if somehow they might have dropped the head when rebuilding it or even gave you a different head. When I went to buy my PT Cruiser they switched the one I test drove after I pulled out my warranty paperwork from one of my old cars and said I am ready to fill out the warranty paperwork for the PT Cruiser I agree to buy. I notice the PT Cruiser was different because there was no scratches on the dash and on one spot on the outside fender. So anything is possible.
By the way the warranty was free so that is why I got it!
Old 26 Oct 2014, 07:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The chances of an actual warped head on a 2.4 PT Cruiser are very rare. This is because ...
Whaaa??? If I weren't so lazy, I'd post a pic of a literal stack ... A pile ... A mound of warped PT heads