PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Consumption, how much in a month

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2014, 02:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Oil Consumption, how much in a month

So I fairly new to the ptcruiser i love my banana car here is the major question. I've done a search on the forums but found no threads, how much oil is it supposed to use in an average month? I have no leaks just did a major tune up and oil service 5w30, 2 weeks ago at 68,500 now its at 69,270 so about 770 its my daily driver 60 freeway miles round trip for work and around town. Its sitting about 3/4 on the stick I did put in a 5 qt jug and it was almost at the full mark give or take if you flip the dip stick over or not.
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 195/65r15
AKA "Banana Car"

Last edited by dalandon; 28 Oct 2014 at 02:38 pm.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Consumption, how much in a month

Most of us use NOTHING between 3-5,000 mile oil changes. I've never used a drop between 5K oil changes in nearly 120,000 miles of driving. If you see no leaks, check the dipstick and coolant for any signs of foaming (oil/water mix).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 02:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Most of us use NOTHING between 3-5,000 mile oil changes. I've never used a drop between 5K oil changes in nearly 120,000 miles of driving. If you see no leaks, check the dipstick and coolant for any signs of foaming (oil/water mix).
that's whats weird everything is great no problems with other fluids no mixing, no smoking, maybe i didn't top it off enough i guess or haven't read the instructions on how to use a dip stick lol
cruserdad1976 likes this.
AKA "Banana Car"

Last edited by dalandon; 28 Oct 2014 at 02:52 pm.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalandon View Post
that's whats weird everything is great no problems with other fluids no mixing, no smoking, maybe i didn't top it off enough i guess or haven't read the instructions on how to use a dip stick lol
You said you used 5 quarts and it was almost at the full mark. Once it reached the proper temperature it probably WAS at the full mark. Were you on level ground when you checked it? Did you wait a few minutes for the hot oil to get back to the pan before checking the oil?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 03:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You said you used 5 quarts and it was almost at the full mark. Once it reached the proper temperature it probably WAS at the full mark. Were you on level ground when you checked it? Did you wait a few minutes for the hot oil to get back to the pan before checking the oil?
Hmm? Looks like I need to read the dipstick instruction guide, I didn't start it up, so the filter was empty, nor did I run it to normal temp, guess ill top it off and start over
I did check it cold in the garage this morning
AKA "Banana Car"

Old 28 Oct 2014, 03:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wait, lets see if we are on the same page. Oil will expand a tiny bit when it's hot so if you check it when it's cold, on level ground it should be just a small bit under the full mark or right at the full mark. You don't have to start it up and then let it sit for awhile to get a true reading as you ran the car before and now it's had plenty of time to run back into the pan. But it shouldn't be down anywhere near the 3/4 mark.

Old 28 Oct 2014, 03:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

3/4 ? from where I sit, it doesn't sound like a biggie.. I've owned mine 7 years and maybe 3 times I've found it down at the 3/4 mark.
I had a junker for a year ( 94 Tercel ) that used a quart a week ... almost as much as gas ! LOL
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 03:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalandon View Post
Hmm? Looks like I need to read the dipstick instruction guide, I didn't start it up, so the filter was empty, nor did I run it to normal temp, guess ill top it off and start over
I did check it cold in the garage this morning
Filter is only empty immediately after filling the oil after a change.

5 quarts should fill up to the dipstick full mark:
1) after car has been driven after an oil change
2) after car is cool (so oil can drain into pan)
3) When car is level

I have 120,000 + miles on mine, use no oil between 5,000 mile oil changes (with Mobil 1)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Oct 2014, 04:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Wait a second .... the Pt isn't any different than ANY other car as far as Oil goes , warm the engine , drain the oil , add new oil start the engine and warm it up , recheck the oil
there is NO "how much oil should i use in a month " all engines are different
Old 28 Oct 2014, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

mine is over 180,000 and as far as i know it never used any oil i change it every mnonth actually i dont really ever check it but for 180,000 this has worked well drain old oil--- chenge filter refill with 5 quarts and drtive it another month (or 4000) miles which for me is the same thing