PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Vibration between 2000-3000rpm

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2014, 02:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Vibration between 2000-3000rpm

I have recently started picking up some vibration when the engine runs between 2000-3000 rpm. It is not hectic, but strong enough that I can feel it through the accelerator pedal. It happens only when there is load on the engine (if I rev it in neutral, nothing happens, it's only when I am driving). This vibration diminishes as the engine warms up. In my opinion power and response is as it should be.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this. I am just trying to figure if it's something serious that I should be worried about.

Last edited by SACruizer; 30 Oct 2014 at 01:41 am.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Vibration between 2000-3000rpm

If you let the engine warm up completely first and then drive it does it vibrate under acceleration?
Old 30 Oct 2014, 01:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
If you let the engine warm up completely first and then drive it does it vibrate under acceleration?

I have not tried this yet. But what I have noticed is that the vibration does not disappear the moment the engine reaches operating temperature... it take a while longer. I would say it starts diminishing after I have driven about 2.5-3 miles. What do you have in mind as a possible cause? I will test what you suggested too.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would need a little history on the PT Cruiser year, turbo or Base, mileage.
What has been done to the PT Cruiser lately?
What was the last time you did a tune up?
Does it vibrate at 2,000 to 3,000 rpm each time after shifting up going up to highway speed?
Old 30 Oct 2014, 08:26 am
Cool Cruiser

mine too, only at 50 to 65 mph overdrive speeds. in thinking cv joints
Old 30 Oct 2014, 08:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
Have you checked your tires for balance? PT Cruiser are know for being more sensitive to tire balance than other vehicles.
When was your last tune up?
Old 30 Oct 2014, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
Try swapping tires front to rear...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Oct 2014, 09:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would need a little history on the PT Cruiser year, turbo or Base, mileage.
What has been done to the PT Cruiser lately?
What was the last time you did a tune up?
Does it vibrate at 2,000 to 3,000 rpm each time after shifting up going up to highway speed?

Steve, it is a 2 liter petrol engine - naturally aspirated - with auto gearbox. It currently has 35 000 miles on the clock. Recently, right before the vibration started, I flushed and changed the coolant and I cleaned the throttlebody by removing it and cleaning all the inside parts with throttlebody cleaner. After that I have changed the oil too, but the vibration was already present. Last tune-up... mmmm... I can't remember (if with "tune-up" you mean timing adjustment etc etc). Yes, it vibrates every time after a shift as well, as long as the rpm are between 2000-3000. It's not really a vibration you can hear, but I feel it in the pedal, probably through the throttle cable. I did notice that my top torsion mount is not in excellent shape anymore and believe that could cause a sort of vibration, but I am not certain that if that was the cause that it would diminish after warming up. So not sure if that's it. Sparkplugs have been changed 17 000 miles ago, but it is platinum plugs so they should still be alright, isn't it?
Old 30 Oct 2014, 09:57 am
Cool Cruiser

plugs and wires, 20k ago, coil pack, new head. I just had tires rotated. seems to coast smooth, vibration with a little pedal to maintain speed, such as grades and such
Old 30 Oct 2014, 10:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACruizer View Post
it is a 2 liter petrol engine - naturally aspirated - with auto gearbox. It currently has 35 000 miles on the clock. Recently, right before the vibration started, I flushed and changed the coolant and I cleaned the throttlebody by removing it and cleaning all the inside parts with throttlebody cleaner. After that I have changed the oil too, but the vibration was already present. Last tune-up... mmmm... I can't remember (if with "tune-up" you mean timing adjustment etc etc). Yes, it vibrates every time after a shift as well, as long as the rpm are between 2000-3000. It's not really a vibration you can hear, but I feel it in the pedal, probably through the throttle cable. I did notice that my top torsion mount is not in excellent shape anymore and believe that could cause a sort of vibration, but I am not certain that if that was the cause that it would diminish after warming up. So not sure if that's it. Sparkplugs have been changed 17 000 miles ago, but it is platinum plugs so they should still be alright, isn't it?

When you cleaned the throttle body, did you remove & clean the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve)..??
You didn't say what year your PT was, but models 2005 & earlier can clean it, 2006 & later have to replace it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Tags
engine vibration, vibration