Advertisements
Sensor problems

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2014, 11:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Sensor problems

Hello. I have a PT Cruiser 2010 Decade Edition and I live in Brazil.
Around 6 months ago my car started to show the MIL light "on" and the engine was stalling above 2000 rpm. I went to a maintenance shop and a scan tool showed a 108 code. Ok, I changed the MAP sensor, but the problem remained the same, after some hours. Nowadays the problem remains, sometimes it desapears, after that it returns and remains for several days. Today I went to another maintenance shop, they made several tests using the scan tool and concluded it is not a MAP sensor problem, but maybe a Camshaft position sensor problem, or wires problems. We decided to try to fix it next week.
After 4 hours I was almost arriving home, I stoped to a gas station to fuel, after that I drove 3 squares and my car started to overheat. Actually, I only noted some cooling liquid spilling over engine parts and creating some fume. I suddenly turned the engine off, wait for half an hour, put some water, checked temperature (it was ok) and drove for 7 squares to go home. After 2 hours with the engine turned off, I made a test (pushing down the odometer reset button and turning the key to RUN. The self test started and the code showed was 1331. I don't know this code. I observed that, after the temperature problem, when we put the key to RUN position, the MIL light (or check engine light) flashes for 10 times; after it remains on. I really don't know if the procedures made during tests at maintenance shop could create some bad PCM operation that could generate cooling or pressure problems. Regards
Old 30 Oct 2014, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Sensor problems

It would seem you have 2 unrelated problems.
Best way to find why the engine light is lit is with a scan tool - but this also shows problem codes:
How to retrieve fault codes.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Oct 2014, 07:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Pushing the odometer reset button only performs a test of the dials and odometer numbers. It doesn't give a readout of the fault codes. Use the lick QSD posted above to find out the trouble codes your computer has stored.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did the radiator fan come on when it started to overheat?
The MIL light (or check engine light) flashing for 10 times could possibly indicate a short on one of the sensors. I would immediately stop driving that Pt Cruiser until the problem is fixed. You might have a bad sensor that is telling the PCM not to turn on the radiator fan. Your problems might be related.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 11:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Time for me to go to bed I thought this thread said senior problems?

JoeX likes this.

Tags
engine codes, pcm