PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
check engine light after accident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2014, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default check engine light after accident

Hi y'all. New girl here.

I have a 2008 PT Cruiser and back on Oct 7th someone hit it while it was parked outside a friends house. The person who hit it damaged my left quarter panel and part of my bumper. His insurance covered the damages and what not. I just got my car back today and when I was driving home my car wouldnt go over 65-70 on the highway (speed limit is 70 I was trying to do 75)... once I got off the highway my check engine light came on and the car wouldnt go over 30mph. Also the dashboard was shaking a lot after starting my car.

I took it to advanced auto and they gave me the error codes for Transmission control system P0700 (malfuncion indicatior lamp request)... Charging System Voltage High P2504 and Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent B1 P0344.

What do these all mean and could they have been caused from the accident or from the mechanic who fixed it? After the accident I only drove my car 1 1/2 days and everything seemed to be fine.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: check engine light after accident

What parts did they replace?
They might not have re-attached some ground wires correctly. i would suggest checking for loose ground wires or loose wire connections going to cam sensor and other sensors.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im not really sure what all they replaced... the only damage was my left quarter panel, tail light and bumper. I know they replaced all that.

I called his insurance company who was taking care of the damage and they are picking it up tomw to look at it again. Hopefully they can get it all fixed and running again.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the battery cables. They might have forgot to tighten the cables after working on the PT Cruiser.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is no relation to the accident. Sitting around while in the shop most likely the culprit. Doubt that the battery cable was disconnected but that connection should be cieaned to rule that out. Weak or low battery can cause some weird codes. No fault of the shop or accident. At least directly anyway.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 01 Nov 2014 at 09:23 am.
Old 01 Nov 2014, 07:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

We found what was going on... turns out its the camshaft position sensor A. According to the mechanic its a common problem in PT Cruisers.
Old 01 Nov 2014, 09:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl814 View Post
We found what was going on... turns out its the camshaft position sensor A. According to the mechanic its a common problem in PT Cruisers.
Does Not explain the other codes. Charging, trans ect.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Nov 2014, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Usually you would only get engine trouble code P0340 if it was just the cam sensor. On one of my PT Cruisers I have a ground problem with the P0700 coming up with other codes so I would suggest keeping an eye on it. Its possible as I mentioned in the previous post about the wires going to the cam sensor so the mechanic might have moved wires or the wire going to the cam sensor and think it was the cam sensor. If it happens again just start moving wires one at a time and see if that might be the problem.