Advertisements
replacement camshafts

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2014, 09:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Default replacement camshafts

I have a 2001 PT
The exhaust cam broke and I cannot seem to find a source for new stock cams. I was hoping someone here would know of a good source for new stock cams.
Also does anyone have a part number for arp head studs?
Old 31 Oct 2014, 10:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: replacement camshafts

Id send NitroPt a pm on here...He's the local camshaft guy and I bet could fix you right up
Old 01 Nov 2014, 08:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

I have used cams for that engine.

It is highly unusual for them to break, highly unusual. A wild guess to the cause is a warped head that'd been milled. The cam bores stay warped when the deck surface is milled.

Easy way to check is lay the cam in the bore (without caps) and see if the cam 'rocks' on middle journals.

Again, let me know. I do have one '01 head, in the unfortunate case that's the issue.
Old 01 Nov 2014, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
I have used cams for that engine.

It is highly unusual for them to break, highly unusual. A wild guess to the cause is a warped head that'd been milled. The cam bores stay warped when the deck surface is milled.

Easy way to check is lay the cam in the bore (without caps) and see if the cam 'rocks' on middle journals.

Again, let me know. I do have one '01 head, in the unfortunate case that's the issue.
Does it ever happen that the machine shop will re-center bore the cam journals if when they mill the head they find the head is warped beyond the normal tolerance allowed? Or do they keep their eyes and ears closed and simply mill the head knowing that if they did the right thing they would be out of business with the lower work load?
Old 01 Nov 2014, 10:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Does it ever happen that the machine shop will re-center bore the cam journals if when they mill the head they find the head is warped beyond the normal tolerance allowed? Or do they keep their eyes and ears closed and simply mill the head knowing that if they did the right thing they would be out of business with the lower work load?
No,on the re bore of the journals. Can't do it because there is no replaceable bearings. Mill the head with journals misaligned. Anything is possible. I would hope not intentionally.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Nov 2014, 10:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
strange how suddenly all this talk about warped PT Cruiser heads yet shops that do head work don't report it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
No,on the re bore of the journals. Can't do it because there is no replaceable bearings. Mill the head with journals misaligned. Anything is possible. I would hope not intentionally.
Yes Danny it would not be cost effective to repair such a commonly available head if damage as describe was in fact what happened.

It is odd that only the exhaust cam was damaged and not the intake as well. Or has the intake been examined.

As long as offers are out there someone should contact Thumper Performance and get a set of NS Series performance camshaft at a very
reasonable cost.

Mention this forum and that you are a member.
Thumper Performance

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 Nov 2014, 11:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
strange how suddenly all this talk about warped PT Cruiser heads yet shops that do head work don't report it?

Yes Danny it would not be cost effective to repair such a commonly available head if damage as describe was in fact what happened.

It is odd that only the exhaust cam was damaged and not the intake as well. Or has the intake been examined.

As long as offers are out there someone should contact Thumper Performance and get a set of NS Series performance camshaft at a very
reasonable cost.

Mention this forum and that you are a member.
Thumper Performance
The intake cam journals don't seem to warp like the exhaust. Mine and the ones mentioned to me when I discovered this issues on the one I have. It was said to be like mine the exhaust cam. Mine rocked noticeably. Front cam showed no rock at all. Must be something to do with the construction of the head. Or exhaust heat combined with the over heat may be causing more heat to that part of the head. No way to really know. Just know that it did on mine.

No broken Cam on mine. I would like to know were the cam broke at. You know, end, middle or what lobe area. Just for grins and giggles. Iv'e only read about one other cam breaking and no head or heating problems reported with that one. It just broke.

Nitro, he will still need a core cam to get those great NS street cams from thumper right? I would assume.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Nov 2014, 11:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
T
Nitro, he will still need a core cam to get those great NS street cams from thumper right? I would assume.
Maybe depends which cams he has. All 2.4 camshaft should be ID'd before installing them to avoid cam sensor alignment issues. If Mike aka Thumper Performance does not have the exact cam core as his than one might try getting a matched inexpensive cam core from Ted aka UptownSport.

BTW I have the pictures of the other PT forum member with the broken cam(s) that your are referencing!
Funny thing is it is the exhaust side but was not a "warped" head.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 01 Nov 2014 at 11:46 am.
Old 01 Nov 2014, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: replacement camshafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Maybe depends which cams he has. All 2.4 camshaft should be ID'd before installing them to avoid cam sensor alignment issues. If Mike aka Thumper Performance does not have the exact cam core as his than one might try getting a matched inexpensive cam core from Ted aka UptownSport.

BTW I have the pictures of the other PT forum member with the broken cam(s) that your are referencing!
Funny thing is it is the exhaust side but was not a "warped" head.

Yep, Ted would be a good sorce for the cam core.

I am correct on the non head related cam breakage right? Any ideas how this happened? Previous unknown fracture that finally showed up?

Did he check for bore alignment on the head before replacing?

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 01 Nov 2014 at 11:56 am.
Old 01 Nov 2014, 12:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yep, Ted would be a good source for the cam core.

I am correct on the non head related cam breakage right? Any ideas how this happened? Previous unknown fracture that finally showed up?
Just match them up!

This is not an isolated case with OEM cores but a rare one . The OEM camshaft(s) in the 1.6,2.0 and 2.4 family have a nickel-iron alloy material which has low thermal expansion but very high strength. Even more so than some billet camshaft that are offered by aftermarket performance camshaft companies. In a few that I was able to test I found that the hardness was evenly measurable threw the cross section of a core break, but I had some question about the original casting? What I found is that some camshafts base cores were cast in different countries and sent to the original factory for finish machining. Those failed cams had different and distinctive core markings. Because of the few I tested that broke I never was able to definitely confirmed that core casting consistency was the cause of the breakage but it at lease raised questions about the casting?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN