PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
n00b here

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2014, 09:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default n00b here

Ello! I'll be enclosing a photo of a broken sensor I found while laying under my car yesterday, swapping out the oil pressure switch. For reference, it was near the front axle on the passenger side. I have no idea what it is but I think it'd be in my best interest to swap it out. If anyone happens to know what it is, some help would be awesome and greatly appreciated!

Also another issue is regarding how it acts after I start it up. First off, it shakes when I'm idle. Bad. I've seen the motor mounts and they're fubar so I'm assuming that's the cause and I'm gonna have those swapped out when I have the moolah.
Next off... the engine will cut off when I'm idle on occasion. Not every time, but sometimes. For instance, I couldn't keep it on after starting my car for the first time after putting the oil pressure switch on without giving it some gas. Also had switched off after backing out of a parking spot yesterday evening when i had stopped to put it back in park. Battery is A-ok and verified to be perfectly fine.

Any kinda feedback here would be awesome and thank you very much for reading!

Old 03 Nov 2014, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: n00b here

Sorry, would like to help but you'll have to wait till NitroPT comes along with his answer. As for the rest of us, we were told by him: "regular members do not really have mechanical experience with all the variable and sometimes complex PT Cruiser issues" so I guess that means everyone with a "technical question" will have to wait till he sees your post and gives you an answer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Nov 2014, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

... If I didn't want the opinion of web users that frequent this forum, I wouldn't have posted here. I think I understand what's apparently going on, but for the sake of this thread... I'd appreciate something besides using it to backhand the fella you mentioned. Thanks
Old 03 Nov 2014, 12:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

cam sensor??? Sounds like one of the sensors is nto right can or crank not sure about the oil sending sensor some say it will keep a car from running some say it wornt some body will be along to help
Old 03 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 03 Nov 2014, 12:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

What year is your Cruiser..??

Capture.JPG

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 03 Nov 2014, 12:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My bad for not mentioning specifics... 2004 Limited edition. Non-turbo. Cam sensor is on the top of the engine near the manifold so it isn't that. I've had to swap that out once.

And the photo, I was laying flat on my back to take that photo.
Old 03 Nov 2014, 02:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDragonkirs View Post
Ello! I'll be enclosing a photo of a broken sensor I found while laying under my car yesterday, swapping out the oil pressure switch. For reference, it was near the front axle on the passenger side. I have no idea what it is but I think it'd be in my best interest to swap it out. If anyone happens to know what it is, some help would be awesome and greatly appreciated!

Also another issue is regarding how it acts after I start it up. First off, it shakes when I'm idle. Bad. I've seen the motor mounts and they're fubar so I'm assuming that's the cause and I'm gonna have those swapped out when I have the moolah.
Next off... the engine will cut off when I'm idle on occasion. Not every time, but sometimes. For instance, I couldn't keep it on after starting my car for the first time after putting the oil pressure switch on without giving it some gas. Also had switched off after backing out of a parking spot yesterday evening when i had stopped to put it back in park. Battery is A-ok and verified to be perfectly fine.

Any kinda feedback here would be awesome and thank you very much for reading!

First, what year is your PT and how many miles on it?

Next, the crank sensor is located sort of behind the drive axle on the back side of the engine on the passenger side near the oil filter. If broken the car should not run. However, a sensor with a semi-broken or unsecured connector might periodically come disconnected and cause issues like you describe. A photo of this sensor is what we need to really help you.

The shaking may be from the same cause if the engine is missing at idle. However, my 2001 had worn motor mounts and would shake some when idling and a lot when in reverse. Several others I've test driven did exactly the same thing. This seems to be a thing with PT Cruisers when the mounts need to be changed.

So send us a photo. If it is the crank sensor, get it fixed first. Then if the engine issues don't improve, we will look further. And there's no use addressing the shake until the engine issues are worked out.

PS: Just saw the photo. That's not the crank sensor. If that is on the front side of the engine, it's likely the AC compressor pressure switch. It's pretty cheap but you will have to have the AC system evacuated to change it and then then recharged with freon. That's not cheap. Also, that will not cause the engine issues you describe. Here's some links. You will have to looks it up for your specific PT, but this close:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...&make=Chrysler

http://www.autozone.com/climate-cont...ch/946336_0_0/

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Nov 2014 at 02:33 pm.
Old 03 Nov 2014, 10:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: n00b here

"Attitudes"!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 04 Nov 2014, 12:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you buy a Mopar brand oil pressure switch/sensor? PT Cruisers don't like aftermarket sensors.
What made you replace the oil pressure switch/sensor?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Nov 2014 at 12:10 am.