PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hot Cam availability?

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Nov 2014, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hot Cam availability?

Is there a staged or "hot" camshaft available ex stock from anywhere?
Maybe easier to have this one machined to heat it up a little.
Just feel our 2002 2L could do with a bit of attitude and performance enhancement.
Have decided to keep this car due to the market crashing the value of them here in New Zealand.
Cheaper to tweak it than pay off another one.
Too nice to sell for sweet F##* all!
Old 04 Nov 2014, 02:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hot Cam availability?

Yes to your question about availability of performance improving aftermarket camshafts.

I do not recommend getting your own ground unless you have access to a cam profile program to theory/test intended specifications.

There are a few off the self cookie cut cams used over the years that you can find through various SRT/Neon/PT Cruiser retail after-market parts suppliers.

NS Series camshafts were specifically engineered for a NA and Turbo application and tested in both before offered retail.
You can get cams through
*Thumper Performance
CROWER
CRANE
BC CROWER

* a PT Cruiser vendor on this forum:

Thumper Performance
Old 04 Nov 2014, 06:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Probably one of the best, if not the best, program is Performance Trends' Engine Analyzer Pro. You can design and then test your cam profile in the simulator to get a reasonable approximation of what that cam will do for your car.

Much better if you have the specs and or a Cam Doctor file, or similar, from the stock cam to enter in and then customize from there, so you will have a baseline to compare to.

You can download a demo of the program here: EA Pro. I think the demo is locked to only one size engine, but you can play with it and learn about how the modifications you make will change the engine's characteristics. The full version is much more powerful and all encompassing and a great tool for the inclined.

Last edited by myckee; 04 Nov 2014 at 06:08 pm.
Old 04 Nov 2014, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

those don't work well

for the advantage to utilize the programs you need to know more than the average "gear head"

You will not find camshaft companies unseeing them nor will you find many Performance engine machine shops either

The programs we use are about 3% accurate with variables and than engine dyno testing less than 20% accurate results.

The only way to engineer camshaft specification is through experience and also someone teaching you the basic's. Even the few Performance Engines schools in the uS do not get into camshaft designing because of the complexity of it.

Last edited by NitroPT; 04 Nov 2014 at 06:16 pm.
Old 04 Nov 2014, 06:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
those don't work well
Tell them that:

User list

Jon Kaase won the Engine Masters competition 5 times and he is only one of the pros that use it.

Last edited by myckee; 04 Nov 2014 at 06:27 pm.
Old 04 Nov 2014, 06:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Tell them that:

User list

Jon Kaase won the Engine Masters competition 5 times and he is only one of the pros that use it.
His company buys CROWER cams for some of thier builds.

Nuff said by me
Old 04 Nov 2014, 07:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
His company buys CROWER cams for some of thier builds.

Nuff said by me
Yes and he orders them by using information from several sources including by using EA Pro. Nuff said by me.
Old 04 Nov 2014, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No he(that company) does not...they are cataloged cams that he has gotten in the past.
There is one that was spec'd ordered by him and than re-adjusted under advisement from Dr.R @ Crower. Please don't challenge me on camshaft especially with anything having to do with CROWER products.
BTW I can also call CRANE,Synder,COMP and Sig and ask them what that company had purchased as well. You see many of us share information and idea's "old school" ways of building the sport and not anyone monopolizing the industry.

I spend hours on a camshaft profile program designing new specification that may work and then machine a test cam and run it either in a vehicle or installing it in an engine connected to an engine dyno to test the results . There are NO programs that are as accurate as this method.

If you are interested in getting a performance camshaft for or want to contribute something you personally have done or know about 2.4 or 1.6 Chrysler 4 cylinder camshaft we all would love to hear it? Or at least I would and I will be here to talk tech and details about your experience with them!

For some that may not know this I design and engineer performance camshaft specification and have for years. I currently have several that are sold worldwide through my marketer (FES LLC) of my performance line of parts or through Thumper Performance a vendor on this forum.

Thumper Performance

Last edited by NitroPT; 04 Nov 2014 at 07:36 pm.
Old 04 Nov 2014, 08:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

nitro if by far right,
air flow in an auto is different for every model,
then different to each intake, change
it may be fun to play with a computer aided cam design program,
but in real world
it needs to be dynoyed to see what it does,
since the motor is a neon variant, and has been around for a while the basics are done already
there are many good hot cams with proven real world gains,
i would chose from the proven, first
rather then guessing and hoping on a custom grind
crane has a lot of good grinds with real world expectations listed right next to the grind on what to expect,
http://www.cranecams.com/150-151.pdf

Last edited by turbo1013; 04 Nov 2014 at 08:50 pm. Reason: readablity and speeling
Old 04 Nov 2014, 11:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

turbo1013 thank you for the support.

I liked everything you said except the last sentence.

Did you know that many of those have never been ground up?
Did you know that none were ever R&D by Crane
Did you know that the advertised number as well the expectation are generic in nature used for many of their cams?
Did you know that each cam card is totally different than the advertised information
Did you know that very few ever did a before and after chassis or engine dyno run with any of the 2.4 camshafts only they changed and gave any useful accurate Dyno information?
Did you know that some of the cams were customer spec'd ordered cams?
Did you know that most all of these cams are ground from raw billets of less quality then a stock Chrysler camshaft?
Did you know that the recommended valve spring is the same for the mildest cam and a cam for a full race high compression racing engine?
Did you know that technically the advertised highest lift cam could not use their recommended valve spring without some serious machining to the head?
Did you know that many that used the most popular #16 changed after a period of time because of a spiked match TQ/HP power curve and generally loss of low end power felt by the "butt" Dyno?

Crane makes some great camshafts I still have a few hanging around..oh wait those were my spec'd cams by Crane. LOL
No really CRANE is a top notch cam company but if you want a CRANE cam talk to a tech about getting a custom ground for your mods and intended usage instead of a cataloged cam.

One recommendation for any upgraded camshaft that is designed on a base level stock engine and specific model platform is to get a way to adjut the cam timing for best power. Also when dialing in the cams you can only adjust for factory error by adjusting the cams in the case of a 2.4 PT Cruiser engine with adjustable cam gears.

If one does chose to get a cam from a known camshaft company it is a good idea to ask for the the cam card information so you can actually see the what the camshaft is and can do the math to determine if the cam is right for your application and intend engine speed and power usage desired.
The information and using it on the cam card is the key to total success of any cam that is installed to work as it was intended.

Last edited by NitroPT; 04 Nov 2014 at 11:19 pm.