PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser won't start! Help please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2014, 12:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking 2001 PT Cruiser won't start! Help please!

First let me say, I'm sorry for the typical redundant "won't start" problem/question that I'm about to post as I've been reading through these threads for hours and you all are one smart bunch of PT Cruiser owners and I think I may have narrowed down a few causes for my problem but I'd still like to get all of your knowledgable opinions.

So, I just bought a used limited edition 2001 PT Cruiser that only has 65K miles on it, is in great shape, and ran beautifully for many days until just last week when I went to start it and got nothing. I thought it might have been the battery so I bought a new battery and had it serviced at the local Chrysler dealership to try to fix this problem. They did the 27 point diagnostic test that revealed a few problems that I've since fixed but-- had nothing to do with the issue I'm having--they charged the battery and told me I had to make sure to start it everyday--so I have--until the day before yesterday--the car sat for one day without starting and now, again...nothing. (I also do not think that the dealerships answer of just starting it every day is a good enough answer, but could they be correct? it seems to me like something else is draining my battery that they just overlooked.)

I have read in some of the other "won't start" posts that with this model had some issues with the sentry key. My key which is definitely a sentry key, does unlock the doors and turn on the lights etc, sometimes, and then other times it does not. This particular time the lights did turn on, and the key worked. I tested the battery percentage with a jump box that I owned from my previous car, and it said it only had 35 percent.

The issue is, I called the dealership and they will look again they said, but I've got to pay to get it towed and then who knows how much they will charge. For a girl, I'm pretty savvy about cars, and I enjoy knowing how they tick, but if you guys could perhaps let me know what you think even remotely may be the problem I'd love to try and figure it out myself this weekend--if I can, so I don't have to pay a ton of money again!

I appreciate all input. Thanks!
Old 05 Nov 2014, 12:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser won't start! Help please!

Early models had a problem with the fog lights staying on after the car was off..or coming on by themselves. It has also been posted that even with them off, they will still draw enough power to drain the battery.
The fuse box to the left under the steering wheel, pull the fog light fuse...I believe it is fuse #8.
If that is the problem you will have to replace the MFS.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 05 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

you should be able to use your jump box to jump the car and drive it to the dealership but like lion said the fog lights are a killer for the battery pull the fuse and see what happens BEFORE you take it to the dealer
Old 05 Nov 2014, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2001 PT Cruiser won't start! Help please!

Thanks Lion and Cruserdad! I did look into the fuse box--I was so frustrated that I wanted to yank them all out--lol--but I didn't. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely try your suggestion.

Any other ideas???
Old 05 Nov 2014, 12:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

could b the multifunction switch in the stering coloum which is a known issue but that is what turns on the fogs could be another sensor wat did the codes come up as
Old 05 Nov 2014, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I haven't done the "code" thing yet, I just learned how to do that, from this website, today. I'm going to try them tonight when I get home. I'll post the codes tomorrow so if you guys could just stay tuned in that would be great! I'm so appreciative of you all. You're saving me TONS of money
Old 05 Nov 2014, 03:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

oph we are always TUNED in to the PT Worls same Bat time same Bat channel
Old 05 Nov 2014, 06:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree w/Lion & Dad - if you have fog lights, that's the most likely culprit, and your dealer is being ridiculous. I can let my PT sit for a couple of weeks, then start it right up.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Nov 2014, 03:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest if you are going to be trying to do the repairs yourself to get a OBDII Scanner. They are reasonable at Harbor Freight.

Search results for: 'scanner tool'

Tags
engine trouble, won't start