Advertisements
Rough Idle again..04 auto no turbo

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KA9VQF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2014, 11:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Rough Idle again..04 auto no turbo

Back again guys..sorry,,but I just cant find this issue..

rough idle feels like a vaccume leek?? tach is pretty steady at idle.but i"m getting this shimmy at idle in gear..kinda like a cat purrin lol and now and then it will really shake and idle down,,seems to be worse after its warmed up..at start up cold it sometimes gos away..

I"ve searched all over for a vaccum leek..around the intake,hoses..ect to no luck..

new plugs ,wires,,coil,,IAC sensor,,TPS sensor..and the air sensor that plugs into the air tube..new crank sensor a year ago.

fuel treatment..several times..new PCM few years ago..

it an 04 auto non turbo....

throwin po440 and po456 codes for along time air evap stuff..

do you see any of these causing this? could there be a air leak back at the tank?...I have a 02 model also and this 04 whne u rev it makes a fopp fopp sound coming from the trottl body kinda like runnin no breather on a v8?/
I cleaned the Trottle body..too..

sorry for the long post but maybe someone will throw a similar prob at me..

love the PTs...
Old 06 Nov 2014, 11:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Rough Idle again..04 auto no turbo

hers my 2..picture test?
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06 Nov 2014, 01:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

You might get a can of ether {engine starting fluid} and start the car then carefully spray it around all the hose clamps on the plumbing to your throttle body and where the intake manifold is bolted on the front of the engine.

If there is a leak the engine should pick up RPM at least a little when you spray the ether on it.

I doubt you replaced the gaskets on the intake manifold when you replaced your plugs and wires. When I removed my intake manifold because I thought I would be easier to get the radiator out when I did that I did not replace those gaskets. Personally I don't think most shade tree mechanics do.

I did have some problems with the plumbing on the intercooler that took some head scratching and a dab of ether to find, but not the intake gaskets, but that would be my guess on your problem.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 06 Nov 2014 at 01:12 pm.
Old 06 Nov 2014, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9VQF View Post
You might get a can of ether {engine starting fluid} and start the car then carefully spray it around all the hose clamps on the plumbing to your throttle body and where the intake manifold is bolted on the front of the engine.

If there is a leak the engine should pick up RPM at least a little when you spray the ether on it.

I doubt you replaced the gaskets on the intake manifold when you replaced your plugs and wires. When I removed my intake manifold because I thought I would be easier to get the radiator out when I did that I did not replace those gaskets. Personally I don't think most shade tree mechanics do.

I did have some problems with the plumbing on the intercooler that took some head scratching and a dab of ether to find, but not the intake gaskets, but that would be my guess on your problem.
Certainly worth a try....

Does it matter if A/C is on ?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Nov 2014, 01:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9VQF View Post
that gasket set is like 20 dollars.. and unless its cracked, dried and brittle, just some carb cleaner and in it goes!
Old 06 Nov 2014, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

N/A's don't have paper gaskets. So the are rarely bad. Have heard of cracked intake. That's rare to. Gas cap can cause the evap codes. And yes you can have a leak back there. Some have replace that evap box at the fuel tank. On the other one. At idle hold a paper bill in the exahast stream at the tail pipe. If it sucks it into the exhaust pipe once and awile, you have avalve issue. You could also have a cracked exhaust manifold. If it's just noise only.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Nov 2014, 04:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: Rough Idle again..04 auto no turbo

done the spray test several times...yes I put new gaskets on and sprayed around every crack and coupling..and yes I"m thinking maybe a intake crack? but you would think it would show up ? I even took a hose to my ear and sniffed every were around listining for an air leak,,no luck..yes sometime it seems worse if the AC is on...fan is working fine..

thanks for the post keep em coming..I even thought about buyin another inake and trottle body..it runs great at speed or when you nail it..

I"ll check the exhaust manafold again for leaks?..oh and new gas cap already done....

starting to think I have a leak back at the tank?
Old 06 Nov 2014, 04:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Amuse me if you would sir.

Take the hoses off the evap / charcoal canister, and check them for visual cracks, replace as needed, clear codes and give it a whirl.
Old 07 Nov 2014, 12:17 am
Cool Cruiser

I was getting the evap code on my HHR. I went to Auto Zone to get a new gas cap but they didn't have any in stock so I ordered one. When I got home again I decided to try to just fix it. The rim of the gas fill hole was a little rusty so I went and got my palm sander some 400 grit wet/dry paper and a rag.

I stuffed the rag in the end of the fill hole and proceeded to sand the end of the fill pipe down to some nice shiny steel.

Then I used some charcoal lighter fluid {it was the handiest cleaning fluid I had around} to clean the gasket on the gas cap and to wipe the sanding dust off the fuel filler pipe. Next I put some Chevy wheel bearing grease on the shiny steel to try and keep it from rusting again.

A few days later the new fuel cap came it and I changed it. That was around a year ago and the steel is still nice and shiny.

One thing I found funny about how these evap codes get thrown by leaking gas caps is when we had gone to visit the wife's sister in Tennessee the year before I drove from our place to Indianapolis {right around 320 miles} with the gas cap completely off the fill pipe and got no codes. I had forgotten to put the damn thing on when I filled the tank up in preparation for the trip.

Just a month or so ago my daughters '05 Neon had the same code coming up. It got the same treatment but she hasn't replaced the gas cap yet. Not completely sure she will.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 07 Nov 2014 at 12:24 am.