Advertisements
ASD Relay clicking

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Nov 2014, 07:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ASD Relay clicking

I have no idea where to go. I'm a former tech but completely lost. I have a friends 01 PT limited with 2.4 non turbo. The car ran perfect when he parked in his garage and when he came out a few minutes later the car wouldn't start. It made a hideous noise while cranking as if there was some metal contacting inside. My first thought was timing belt. But that's not the issue I'm struggling with. There was a continues fast clicking coming from the engine compartment after this. It would only stop when the battery was disconnected. It turns out that the clicking was coming from the EGR solenoid, IAC motor, and ASD relay. The ASD relay was constantly cycling on and off. With the key on, the AC and fuel pump relay also cycle like this but they stop with key off. The computer is sending the pulsing signal to the ASD (and the other 2 relays). A logic probe on the ASD ground terminal to the ECM is pulsing. WHY? It seems as though the output side of the ASD circuit is fine but what inside (or outside) the computer is involved in this circuit that might cause the cycling?

LOST
Old 09 Nov 2014, 08:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: ASD Relay clicking

Clicking or buzzing relays is a text book symptom for a bad ground. These cars are notorious for sensitivity to bad grounds as well as failing batteries. Check the obvious grounds as well as the hidden ones in the inner fender wells and properly test the battery first. Let us know what you find.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 12:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just wanted to update for the greater good of the community. We took the car to the dealer who said,
"your battery is bad and your flywheel is broken. It'll be a million dollars".
I said,
"NO! start with the battery."
300 dollars later they said,
"Well, maybe it isn't your battery or the flywheel". They checked it out for a week or so and then said, "We think it's your computer. It'll be a million bucks."
I said "Go F yourself" and took the car. I got a new PCM from Autozone for about $250, installed it, and POOF! the thing started right up. So, If anyone has their relays going berzerk it might be your computer but make sure you properly diagnose it first. How to do that without a direct line to Chrysler, I have no idea.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Nov 2014 at 12:39 pm. Reason: Family forum
Old 26 Nov 2014, 12:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Interesting - I had no idea Autozone sold PCMs - they program your VIN in it?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Nov 2014, 09:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking to see if your PCM is grounding the ASD relay with the ignition off. Something is sending a signal to the ASD Relay. You need to find the ground wire from the PCM to the ASD Relay, check the ground wire with the ignition on and then with it off. If it still has ground with the ignition off you need to disconnect the ground wire at the PCM and see if it goes out. If it doesn't then check for a short to ground on the wire. If it goes out then its time to check out why the PCM is supplying the ground with the ignition off.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 10:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest checking to see if your PCM is grounding the ASD relay with the ignition off. Something is sending a signal to the ASD Relay. You need to find the ground wire from the PCM to the ASD Relay, check the ground wire with the ignition on and then with it off. If it still has ground with the ignition off you need to disconnect the ground wire at the PCM and see if it goes out. If it doesn't then check for a short to ground on the wire. If it goes out then its time to check out why the PCM is supplying the ground with the ignition off.
He solved his problem with a new PCM...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 12:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
He solved his problem with a new PCM...
not4ne1 Re: ASD Relay clicking

So, If anyone has their relays going berzerk it might be your computer but make sure you properly diagnose it first. How to do that without a direct line to Chrysler, I have no idea.

Quicksilverdon,

You need to read what he said. He was asking how to diagnosis it so that it might point to the PCM. he didn't know how to diagnosis it even after Chrysler told him it was the PCM.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 12:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
not4ne1 Re: ASD Relay clicking

So, If anyone has their relays going berzerk it might be your computer but make sure you properly diagnose it first. How to do that without a direct line to Chrysler, I have no idea.

Quicksilverdon,

You need to read what he said. He was asking how to diagnosis it so that it might point to the PCM. he didn't know how to diagnosis it even after Chrysler told him it was the PCM.
You are correct. I was wrong. Sorry.

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 27 Nov 2014 at 12:14 am.