Drive belt squealing

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By LionPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2014, 06:07 am
Young Cruiser

Default Drive belt squealing

This is an intermittent issue. I drove my daughter's car the other night, I noticed some flickering in the lights but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. When I started the car up after my shift to go home, I turned on the lights (are there seperate bulbs for hi and lo beam? Lo is yellow and Hi is really bright white) and turned on the brights, this is when the belt started squealing bad. I turned off the brights and it quit so I'm assuming it has something to do with the load of the lights on the alternator. Ok correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the drive belt had a tensioner. Shouldn't this automatically adjust the tension on the belt? No other obvious issues. When I mentioned it to my daughter she says it's been doing it for a while. Thanks.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 08:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Drive belt squealing

The drive belt (serpentine) does have a tensioner but the alternator has a belt all on its own with no tensioner. It's adjusted by hand. It's called the generator belt (3) in the picture below.

Closer view.

To adjust the alternator, loosen the Lower Pivot bolt (1) , then loosen the upper bolt on the alternator itself and using the slide holder move the alternator till the belt is at the correct tension.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 Nov 2014 at 08:16 am.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 09:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06OregonCruiser View Post
I noticed some flickering in the lights but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. When I started the car up after my shift to go home, I turned on the lights (are there seperate bulbs for hi and lo beam? Lo is yellow and Hi is really bright white) and turned on the brights, this is when the belt started squealing bad. I turned off the brights and it quit so I'm assuming it has something to do with the load of the lights on the alternator.

Turning on the hi beams wouldn't make the belt squeal, you might want to get the alternator checked out...JMO

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 11 Nov 2014, 12:41 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, I was going to check it today but the kid didn't come home until after I left for work.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 04:39 am
Young Cruiser

Get the alternator checked out.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest that if you have had coolant overflowing from the radiator cap on top of the thermostat housing the coolant might have gotten on the belts and harden the belts. This will cause the belts to eventually start slipping and the belts will need to be replaced.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 12:52 am
Young Cruiser

No overflowing, it was a new belt when I had the head overhauled 4 or 5 months ago, maybe it stretched? I'll check it as soon as the kid stays home long enough for me to do so.