Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear defroster not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2014, 01:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear defroster not working

Nothing like the first frost of the season to discover the rear defroster isn't working. The rear washer/wiper combo took care of it but I'd like to find out if this is a fix I can do. I started with the fuse box and checked my manual - 2003 Turbo. Nothing in the manual indicated that the fuse box under the hood would have anything to do with the rear defroster so I pulled off the interior fuse box and looked at the lid and nothing there either indicates a fuse for the rear defroster. No fuse operates it? Goes by some other name that wouldn't jump out at me? Any suggestions on other things I can try at home before taking to the mechanic? Thanks!
Old 10 Nov 2014, 01:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Rear defroster not working

Has it ever worked..??
When mine didn't work after I bought it, I pulled the plastic off around the rear window & found that it was unplugged on both sides. Whoever replaced the back window never plugged them back in or cleaned out the broken glass.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 10 Nov 2014, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On my 2001, Fuse#6 in the interior fuse box and Fuse#8 in the PDC both have something to do with the Rear window defogger system according to the Haynes manual. Check those for the heck of it.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The rear defroster has been working up until the last time I turned it on, I guess this past spring, maybe even later than that. Sometimes it fogs up in the car if its raining outside so its possible I've had it on sometime in the past couple of months, just don't remember specifically the last time it worked. The light on the rear defroster switch on the dash comes on when I activate the defroster but the lines didn't melt anything. I checked the 6 fuse and its intact. Its getting dark out so I'll hold off until tomorrow to check the #8 fuse under the hood. The back window has never been replaced. Is it possible the connectors under that plastic could randomly come unplugged?
Old 10 Nov 2014, 09:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
The rear defroster has been working up until the last time I turned it on, I guess this past spring, maybe even later than that. Sometimes it fogs up in the car if its raining outside so its possible I've had it on sometime in the past couple of months, just don't remember specifically the last time it worked. The light on the rear defroster switch on the dash comes on when I activate the defroster but the lines didn't melt anything. I checked the 6 fuse and its intact. Its getting dark out so I'll hold off until tomorrow to check the #8 fuse under the hood. The back window has never been replaced. Is it possible the connectors under that plastic could randomly come unplugged?

If the light comes on, than there is power, you might want to check the switch itself.
The connector shouldn't come unplugged, but it could be possible that 1 might have broken/rusted.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 10 Nov 2014, 09:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Then it sounds like another trip back to the mechanic. Already dropped about $800 there this month!
Old 10 Nov 2014, 10:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Look at the wires in the glass carefully - any break in the wire and the defroster won't work.
If a scraper was used on the inside, that'd do it.....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Nov 2014, 10:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If all fuses are good I would pull off the trim pieces around top and edges of the back window. You might find that the one of the contacts has come off the metal film. Take a tiny bit of hot glue to it and some duct tape to hold it while the glue set.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 12:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

No, I've never used a scraper inside my car. We're in a wet climate so we don't have extreme freezing cold. We'll get a few nights hovering around freezing like in this week's forecast and then it'll go back to rain again. But we'll get a few days in a row of light ice/frost on the windows. Normally the defroster or a combo of using the wiper/washer takes care of ice very fast.

I'll check the trim tomorrow. I took a quick look at it this morning but didn't notice anything obvious that had come apart. I don't have a glue gun, so if its not that other fuse it looks like my mechanic will have to figure it out.

Thanks!