PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trouble Codes p0106, p0016, and p2302

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Nov 2014, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Trouble Codes p0106, p0016, and p2302

First and Foremost I would like to introduce myself. My name is Anthony and I have been utilizing this site for the past 3 months just sifting through posts. I was given a 2003 PT Cruiser (non turbo) by my cousin who just destroyed the thing. When I received the car it would not start due to the starter being bad. I got the starter on which was a task in itself, but the car would crank and just wouldn't start.

After sifting through wires and testing the fuel pump, I determined the car wasn't getting any fuel. It wasn't because the fuel pump was bad but because the relay that controls it was no good. Ok now the car starts but would not stay running and idled extremely rough. The car had been sitting for almost a year before I was given the car so I decided to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump anyway since there was no record of it being changed.

After getting everything put back together, the car still ran the same so I decided to do a much needed tune up. Now before I get ahead of myself I did read the codes as the Cel was on. I was getting p0106, p0700, p2302, p2305, and some other codes which I dont quite remember. I know the map sensor was bad, the camshaft sensor was bad and the crankshaft sensor was throwing a code as well. So I went to the junk yard (probably my first mistake) and bought all of the sensors at a much cheaper price than a auto-parts store or the dealer. The sensors fixed most of the codes and now the car idles alright but I have another issue. I now have codes P0106, p0016 and p2302 is back with vengeance.

Also I forgot to mention that the timing was off as well. I broke down the engine and set the timing perfectly (TDC) the car instantly ran better but there is still issues. Here is where the confusion lie, After using the junkyard sensors I decided to go to advance autoparts to purchase new map, crankshaft, camshaft, IAT, TPS, the other sensor by the Tps which is a valve sensor or something. Yet the car is still experiencing acceleration issues. Keep in mind I changed all spark plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets and spark plug o ring seals. Im not sure given the codes I have what more I can do to resolve the issues. I have one more ace in the hole *Thanks to Crewzin*before I scrap plans to revitalize this car. I went to the Stealership (dealership) early this morning and for the low low price of 147.71 I will be changing the Crankshaft sensor, Camshaft sensor, and Camshaft sensor magnet today.

Here's the issues I am having, the idle seems to be fine a little jumpy at times but tolerable. If I accelerate slowly the car seems to run fine, if I push too hard on the gas the car starts sputtering and I have to cut the car off and back on to get it back to the proper idle. The main issue seems to be when I give the car gas too fast or try to accelerate normally it goes into a sort of limp mode if you will. The p0016 code is rather disturbing because it says the camshaft and crankshaft timing is off or something close to that if I understood correctly. However even when the timing was off the car was not throwing this code. It's kinda weird that it would start doing it now.

Im sorry for such a long drawn out post, but I really would like some assistance to figure out what I can do to save this vehicle. It's for my wife who is a first time driver and for some reason her dream car. Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 11:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Trouble Codes p0106, p0016, and p2302

Have you put in the Mopar Crankshaft sensor, Camshaft sensor, and Camshaft sensor magnet yet?
When you do, be sure to look closely at the connectors and follow wiring as best you can and look for any chafing or abrasion.
Then post back with results.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Nov 2014, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Have you put in the Mopar Crankshaft sensor, Camshaft sensor, and Camshaft sensor magnet yet?
When you do, be sure to look closely at the connectors and follow wiring as best you can and look for any chafing or abrasion.
Then post back with results.
I am about to do it now, I will post with results once im finished.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you might have an ignition system issue.
Having the PT Cruiser sit for a year is not good. There has been issues of little mice eating through wires in the engine compartment.
I would suggest suggest checking all wires involved in the ignition system especially the wires going to the PCM from the bottom of the engine.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok here's an update, I got all of the sensors on but the same issue is still present. It removed most of the codes but now p2302 keeps coming up, I have already replaced the ignition coil that all of the spark plug wires go into. So I'm not quite sure what to do next.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With only P2302 engine trouble code coming up I would suggest checking your fuel injectors. How many miles do you have on your PT Cruiser?
Old 15 Nov 2014, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

126k on the odometer but the motor was changed so I'm not sure.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest before checking into the fuel injectors to check out all possible causes listed below. Check out each component using what methods to validate each component. Do not keep replacing components. It can get very expensive.

Ignition Coil No. 1 Secondary Circuit Insufficient Ionization Conditions:
Engine started and the PCM detected the Ignition Coil No. 1 secondary "burn time" was insufficient, or it was missing.

Possible Causes:
Intermittent condition Cylinder No. 1 spark plug or wire is damaged or it has failed
Ignition Coil No. 1 is damaged or it has failed
Ignition coil control circuit is open or shorted to ground
ASD relay output circuit problems
PCM has failed
Old 15 Nov 2014, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest before checking into the fuel injectors to check out all possible causes listed below. Check out each component using what methods to validate each component. Do not keep replacing components. It can get very expensive.

Ignition Coil No. 1 Secondary Circuit Insufficient Ionization Conditions:
Engine started and the PCM detected the Ignition Coil No. 1 secondary "burn time" was insufficient, or it was missing.

Possible Causes:
Intermittent condition Cylinder No. 1 spark plug or wire is damaged or it has failed
Ignition Coil No. 1 is damaged or it has failed
Ignition coil control circuit is open or shorted to ground
ASD relay output circuit problems
PCM has failed
I would suggest doing the following first.
Check ignition coil 1 connector for damage - look at the pins and for moisture.
Check ASD Relay output circuit to coil 1 and see if the resistance is high.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Nov 2014 at 02:25 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest doing the following first.
Check ignition coil 1 connector for damage - look at the pins and for moisture.
Check ASD Relay output circuit to coil 1 and see if the resistance is high.
I figured out what i was, the connector going to the Ignition coil was damaged. I went to the junkyard and chopped one off (hence why it took so long for me to respond) and now its running beautifully... Im still not sure why the P0016 code popped up but issue is officially resolved. I have a video of what it was doing but im not sure how to post it so future users may benefit.