PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
needed, electrical schematic for 2005 PT rear hatch release

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Nov 2014, 01:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default needed, electrical schematic for 2005 PT rear hatch release

I have a 2005 Pt Cruiser that has a disfunction in the electric rear hatch latch. I've never had a problem with it till two weeks ago. I have found out with a junk yard visit that the earlier PTs aren't the same as the 2005 in this area.

After checking the few threads on this subject of a disfunctioning rear hatch latch, I tested the solenoid with 12 volts from the battery and it proves OK.

Another thread suggested wiring problems, so I've visually checked the wiring back to the body and haven't spotted any frays or cuts in the looms.

I even pierced the black and the light green/black wires with sewing pins where they come from the body that appear to be common to the solenoid circuit. (IE, the same colors) I used a tester hooked to the pins. I got the same electrical readings I got at the plug to the electrical unit between the rear hatch lock assembly and the bell crank to the latch lock, the plug to the solenoid and the plug to the pressure switch.

All showed continuity which could indicate a short or might just as possibly be the true circuitry. Testing for 12 volts with my gauge hooked to the black and light green/black wires to each of the above mentioned showed very low voltage with the remote activated at the double click which services the rear doors and the rear hatch.

With an electrical schematic of the 2005 Pt dedicated to this area and function I might be able to mentally figure out why this isn't working.

I've considered it might be the pressure switch in the handle or something I've missed in my inspection of the wire. But this is somewhat contradicted by the disfunction even with the remote and the door switches.

The door lock system 20amp fuse is good, and I get function with the remote and the door switches to all the doors but not the rear hatch.

So, my request is for any advise in my pursuit of resolving this from others who have experienced and fixed it, and if any forum participant might have the electric schematic page for a 2005 rear hatch latch (the earlier PTs had a different solenoid and latching system) they could email to me at priceyoungman@hotmail.com

I'll continue today doing further tests to resolve this. Thank you. ptprice
Old 15 Nov 2014, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: needed, electrical schematic for 2005 PT rear hatch release

According to the Haynes manual, there's 3 fuses that have to do with the doors and liftgate locks. All in the interior fuse box: Fuse#1, #3 and #10. Check them all.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 03:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks, from the tests I've preformed, I suspected and hoped it might point to another fuse I didn't know about as being the culprit problem. I'll check those you mentioned. I hope to report success.ptprice
Old 15 Nov 2014, 04:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Having checked all the advised fuses, #1, #3 and #10 both visually and with a continuity tester they all proved to be acceptable.

I did find out, that another portion of the circuitry is working properly.

As I opened the rear hatch with the key, my fine tuned "geezer" hearing aids heard the four doors opening electrically. I double checked this visually by lowering the 4 door pulls manually, turning the key in the hatch lock and viewing the pulls on all 4 doors rise to the open position.

This revelation of circuitry that is working eliminates some of the wiring from consideration, but I'm still at a loss for a resolve?????. Anyone got two cents worth of advise? Thanks. ptprice
Old 15 Nov 2014, 05:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does your PT Cruiser rear hatch unlatches every time you get in and start the engine?
Old 15 Nov 2014, 07:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

to ptcruisersteve. No, the rear hatch doesn't unlatch when the ignition cycle is activated and the engine is running.

Definatively, the electric latch function on the rear hatch just stopped opening electrically with any of the three options. A double click of the remote, a double click of the door lock switch or by lifting on the pressure sensitive handle. Thank you for your interest and input.

It's not solved yet but you gave me something else to check. I've tried to help solve a lot of questions posted on the forum, and I'm sure this'll get figger out. Thanks. ptprice
Old 15 Nov 2014, 10:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When you do the double click of the remote have you tried giving it more time between the clicks? The 2006 and 2007 PT Cruisers had this problem if you double click the remote faster than 1/2 second the liftgate does not work.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 11:29 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks, ptcruisersteve. I've tried every combination of variables on the remote, door lock switches and pressure switch short of crossing my fingers and eyes.

Tomorrow I'll remove the solenoid again and see of it functions with the remote when it's unmounted and hooked to its plug.

As I've already successfully tested the solenoid unmounted with 12 volt negative and positive leads from the battery I'll try this, with the assumption and hope there might be some resistance in the latch mechanism that's causing the rear hatch latch solenoid disfunction. Figuring maybe its not an electrical problem but mechanical.

Your input, and the many other unresponsive hits I've gotten to this thread will surely lead to a resolve. Thanks. ptprice
Old 16 Nov 2014, 01:31 am
Young Cruiser

It looks like the output to the latch comes from the remote keyless entry module. I'm not sure it will help but I tried to scan and e-mail the schematic.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 01:19 pm
Young Cruiser

In addition to the fuses CREWZIN mentioned, fuse 13 also supplies power to the module.