Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By augmenton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Nov 2014, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 Cruiser No Spark

Alright, so I've seen a number of threads about this and so far nothing has solved my problem.

Backstory: the oil pressure light would come on every now and again, then it would go away. The car had oil upon inspection. This time the light came on while out on the freeway followed shortly by the car dying. I was not in the car at the time, so unfortunately I cannot say if it had any other symptoms before its death. Unfortunately the battery died with the flashers on while waiting for a tow, wiping any possible codes. Battery has since been replaced, still finding no codes but have not been able to get the car running to actually throw any new ones.

Once towed home, I found that the car has no spark. It will crank, but not much more. The fuel pump runs, as I can both hear it and could smell gas in the intake when I opened it. I've checked and replaced several sensors and components:

-ASD relay is working
-all fuses in both fuse panels are good (checked them all just for the heck of it)
-replaced Oil Pressure Switch/Sender
-replaced CAM Sensor
-Replaced Coil Pack
-Checked voltage from ASD to Coil - found constant 12V when cranking

I have yet to check the Crankshaft sensor, but if I find a constant 12V at the ASD/Coil, couldn't I assume that the Crank sensor is working? I was under the impression that the PCM would power down the ASD if it couldn't get a signal from all sensors in the system.

I'm trying to rule out all the easier, cheaper fixes before jumping to the bigger stuff, such as a bad PCM ($$$) or a snapped timing belt (so much time and effort in the cold).
Old 15 Nov 2014, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Cruiser No Spark

You can rule out the timing belt very simply (with the help of a friend). Take the Camshaft sensor off and look into the hole where the sensor was. You'll see a thing called the Target Magnet. Have someone try and start the car and if the Target Magnet turns round while the engine is turning, the timing belt is good. Doesn't move, the belt has snapped.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How many miles on your PT Cruiser?
Has the timing belt ever been replaced?
Old 15 Nov 2014, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I though it could throw trouble codes even if car doesn't start, in the "trying to start" phase...
Check for codes now...
NitroPT likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Nov 2014, 03:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I though it could throw trouble codes even if car doesn't start, in the "trying to start" phase...
Check for codes now...
I believe Augmenton already tried to get codes after replacing battery.
This time the light came on while out on the freeway followed shortly by the car dying. I was not in the car at the time, so unfortunately I cannot say if it had any other symptoms before its death. Unfortunately the battery died with the flashers on while waiting for a tow, wiping any possible codes. Battery has since been replaced, still finding no codes but have not been able to get the car running to actually throw any new ones.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Nov 2014 at 03:53 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey, thanks for the quick responses everybody.

I'll check the timing belt next. The car has 97,000 on it and the belt has never been replaced. So it's getting (or is already at) the point where that becomes a problem.

The car shows no codes. I hooked an OBDII reader up to it and it finds nothing. Shows nothing on the dash besides the standard light up you get when trying to start the car normally.

If I wanted to check to see if the grounds running from the PCM to the coil are sound, how would I go about doing that? If it's rapidly alternating the ground wire, then would a standard voltmeter do the job, or do I need a special tool?
Old 15 Nov 2014, 04:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This link might help you in determining if your PCM might be faulty.

http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/5...ng-thread.html
UptownSport likes this.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Fantastic! Thanks. So next on my list is checking the timing belt and chasing pins on the PCM connector. Hopefully I find something.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 02:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 07:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by augmenton View Post
Alright, so I've seen a number of threads about this and so far nothing has solved my problem.

Backstory: the oil pressure light would come on every now and again, then it would go away. The car had oil upon inspection. This time the light came on while out on the freeway followed shortly by the car dying. I was not in the car at the time, so unfortunately I cannot say if it had any other symptoms before its death. Unfortunately the battery died with the flashers on while waiting for a tow, wiping any possible codes. Battery has since been replaced, still finding no codes but have not been able to get the car running to actually throw any new ones.

Once towed home, I found that the car has no spark. It will crank, but not much more. The fuel pump runs, as I can both hear it and could smell gas in the intake when I opened it. I've checked and replaced several sensors and components:

-ASD relay is working
-all fuses in both fuse panels are good (checked them all just for the heck of it)
-replaced Oil Pressure Switch/Sender
-replaced CAM Sensor
-Replaced Coil Pack
-Checked voltage from ASD to Coil - found constant 12V when cranking

I have yet to check the Crankshaft sensor, but if I find a constant 12V at the ASD/Coil, couldn't I assume that the Crank sensor is working? I was under the impression that the PCM would power down the ASD if it couldn't get a signal from all sensors in the system.

I'm trying to rule out all the easier, cheaper fixes before jumping to the bigger stuff, such as a bad PCM ($$$) or a snapped timing belt (so much time and effort in the cold).
Is the security light on, on the dash? Little red light?
Could this be an ignition problem as in ignition cylinder?

When my PCM was bad it would turn on the CEL and have readable codes immediately after starting.

Grounds: follow the battery ground to left fender. Bad ground for my o2 sensor would throw code circuit voltage high P032 immediately after starting.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Tags
2003, dead, no spark, pcm, spark