Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By JoeX
  • 2 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Nov 2014, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fuel Leak

My wife's 2007 PT has not been started since Friday afternoon when she came home and put it in the garage. I went into the garage a couple of different times this morning and around noon to put wood in the furnace. Well I went into the garage to check the furnace @ 3PM and smelled gasoline. Looked under her PT and saw fuel streaming from the middle at the front of the tank just under the heat shield, just for a few seconds and stop. I pulled the car outside jack it up and its coming form the top of the tank but has stopped ?? She just filled it up Fri evening. Where could this be coming from and why did it start and stop ? Im really hoping its an over flow thing as I dont want to pull the tank with it full I have shook the crap out of it and cant get it to repeat and no repeat with it running.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel Leak

The gas tank might have been overfilled. The fuel can back up into the evaporative system and cause problems. Perhaps the fuel has expanded somewhat from a change in temperature in the garage and pushed out one way or another. I would not fill the tank to the full mark anymore. I would find out if after the nozzle at the gas station had clicked off if more gas was put into the tank and if so how much? If no more gas was put in the tank you might have a leak that only occurs when the tank is full.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Nov 2014 at 04:30 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 10:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yikes!

Yikes!Yikes!Yikes!
Old 16 Nov 2014, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Was the tank filled in cold temperature and it was warm in the garage? I'm thinking you have a leak in a hose at top of tank and when gas expands from warmth, it hits the hose leak and leaks out.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Nov 2014, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lets get the better tank description location first here shall we?

When you look under the rear of the PT Cruiser and see the fuel tank that is the rear of the fuel tank you see.

All though not entirely impossible it is very unlikely you cause a leak by severely over fill the fuel tank. In almost every scenario over fill the fuel tank would most certainly have cause a DTC because of damaged or failed emission devices mounted on and around the top of the fuel tank.

Good look on your leak search.
JoeX and ptcruisersteve like this.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 02:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Lets get the better tank description location first here shall we?

When you look under the rear of the PT Cruiser and see the fuel tank that is the rear of the fuel tank you see.

All though not entirely impossible it is very unlikely you cause a leak by severely over fill the fuel tank. In almost every scenario over fill the fuel tank would most certainly have cause a DTC because of damaged or failed emission devices mounted on and around the top of the fuel tank.

Good look on your leak search.
The fuel ran from the front of the tank facing the front of the vehicle came came from the top of the tank and ran behind the exhaust heat shield, It was pretty cold when the take was filled and rather warm in the garage. Is there a vent for the evap system on the top of the tank ? It has not leaked since but may warrant a tank removal for investigation. I will keep a very close eye on it. Now a couple of months ago I did get a minor vac leak code. I attributed that to lose gas cap but may have been wrong.

Last edited by TD2593; 16 Nov 2014 at 02:42 pm.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Picture I just took that may help you?

Old 16 Nov 2014, 04:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

If that happens again remove the gas cap to see if there is pressure in the tank.
Don't do it if there are flames around, some garages have gas water heaters (BOOM)

Don't stand in front of the cap when you remove it , slight possibility but you don't want a petrol bath. Have a towel around the gas cap as you twist it off to avoid this possibility.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 19 Nov 2014, 06:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the tips and the pics really helps me to see where it could have come from with out pulling the tank , It has not leaked since and my wife said that it took a really really long time for it to drop off the full mark. My son filled it up for her so I blame him LOL . Id bet it was over full and the heat change caused an issue.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 09:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD2593 View Post
Thanks for all the tips and the pics really helps me to see where it could have come from with out pulling the tank , It has not leaked since and my wife said that it took a really really long time for it to drop off the full mark. My son filled it up for her so I blame him LOL . Id bet it was over full and the heat change caused an issue.
The fact is, no mater what it shouldn't do that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com