Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
07 touring edition reverse not engaging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2014, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 07 touring edition reverse not engaging

I have an 07 pt cruiser touring edition. Short backstory, when I bought the car it had like 36,000 miles on it, currently turned over 91,000. So, when I would put the car in R, I could not put it directly in to D or it would rev really high and then shift really hard which I think now was limp in mode. Anyways, I found a way around it. As long as I would put it in to P first, I could put it in to D and it would shift beautifully. Recently the R went out but it still shifts into all of the other gears fine. Dropped the tranny pan, clean as a whistle. Put in new tranny fluid to no avail and now tomorrow we are going to put in a new solenoid pack. I can shift in to R, it just doesn't engage. Am I looking at a new tranny all together? The engine light came on a few times but when I brought it to the dealership they told me it was fine and charged me anyways. Last time it came on I left it and within 3 days it went off. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! I've scoured the internet but I can't find anyone with exactly the same problem that I am having.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 09:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 07 touring edition reverse not engaging

Sure there is no slop in the gear selector mechanism?
Hope the solenoid pack cures it - post back and let us know.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Nov 2014, 09:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What exactly do you mean by slop? I know this sounds silly but I don't really know what I'm talking about though I try my best to sound smart I try to ask as many questions as I can when my mechanic works on it so I kind of know what's happening. If you could put it into laymens terms that would be great. Thanks
Old 17 Nov 2014, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I also should mention it's an automatic tranny. If you mean is there any give in the shifter, no. It shifts into all the other gears fluidly both with the shifter and while driving. Just the above mentioned issue.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 09:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The lever in the car is connected to the transmission mechanically - at the top of the transmission, is the movement of the gear selector firm with no extra movement when you move the lever in the car?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Nov 2014, 09:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Driving another 56,000 when you knew you had a problem, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. When you have a problem in an automatic, the last thing you ever want to do is change the trans fluid...it just makes things worse.
At this point, before you spend more money replacing parts, take it to a transmission shop & have it looked at...JMO.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 17 Nov 2014, 10:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

From when you got the PT Cruiser at 36,000 every time the transmission oil and filter was changed did you notice any metal shavings in the bottom of the pan? There is a little round magnetic that sticks to the bottom of the pan and that usually is the first thing you look at to see if metal particles are coming in from other areas of the transmission. Was there excessive grey powder in the bottom of the transmission?
Old 17 Nov 2014, 10:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Every time I would bring it to the dealer they would tell me it was fine, so the next time the engine light came on I didn't bother to bring it in. I found a way around the issue so I just kept on driving it that way. Probably not a good choice but I guess I didn't know what else to do since they were never really helpful in the first place. I guess I just want to know if anyone else has had similar issues or knows someone that has and what they were able to do. I hope that I am not looking at a rebuild or new transmission but I guess it'll be my fault due to neglect. The transmission fluid was clean as can be when we dropped the tranny pan. I was told that you weren't supposed to change it if it had metal shavings in it, which it didn't.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 10:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have the engine trouble codes that came up?
Old 17 Nov 2014, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The dealership never told me, basically telling me that it was fine and never acted up when they drove it and then charged me for nothing I guess. I've tried to do the odemeter code reading thing where you turn the key fast into the "on" position but I am not sure that it'll work if the engine light isn't currently on. My husband took it to a local mechanic to see if there were any stored codes and they told him if the engine light wasn't on there was nothing they could do and that they didn't do transmissions anyways. I feel like a dummy...