My 2005 Convertible GT

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2014, 04:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default My 2005 Convertible GT

I bought my GT about a year ago and had no problems. It only has 81000 miles on it. One day, about a month ago, It ran hot and the check engine light came on. I toot it to my mechanic and replaced the temperature sensor, flushed the radiator, and replaced the coolant. A few days latter it happened again, this time he replaced the t-stat. A few days latter the oddest thing began to happen. As I was driving to work the temperature gauge dropped down as if the engine was running too cold and the check engine light came on, a few moments latter it shot all the way up into the red as if it was running to hot. I pulled over and called my mechanic. as I was talking with him the temperature returned to normal but the check engine light stayed on. I am hoping someone can help me with this and tell me how to fix it. He thinks its a short because the engine is running just fine.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 07:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My 2005 Convertible GT

Often, when the coolant level gets low in an engine, the the gauge temperature will fall off because the the temperature sensor is no longer touching the coolant. And the gauge temp will sometimes rebound when the remaining coolant begins to boil as the heated vapor affects the sensor. Did the mechanic have to add coolant after this episode?

You did not mention the radiator fan. Did the mechanic check that out? If you search this forum you will notice that fan failure is one of the primary causes of PT overheating. And if the gauge is showing hot when the engine truly appears cool, an old school way to check this is to simply stick a thermometer in the radiator and take the temperature. If you don't have an appropriate thermometer, you can get a cheap mechanical temp gauge and just stick the probe end into the radiator without installing it. If the temp remains under or about 200 degrees F (correcting for error) when the gauge shows hot, then it could be the sensor. To do the thermometer or gauge test, it's usually best to leave the radiator cap loose while cool and then test when the gauge shows hot. And be sure and don't open the radiator cap if the gauge shows hot. You can easily get burned. Ask the mechanic to do this for you if you are not familiar with working on an overheated engine. But again, fan failure and actual overheating is much more common.

Also, what were the trouble codes that caused the check engine light to stay on? That may be a good indicator of what is going on.

And if it was me, I would try one of those chemical tests to determine if there is any compression getting into the cooling system. No matter the original cause, overheating can cause the head gasket to leak. This appears to be common on the PT. And a minor head gasket leak can cause many types of symptoms in addition to the original cause and make it difficult to diagnose.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 18 Nov 2014 at 07:47 am.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 09:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest getting a OBDII Scan Tool if you are going to continue to do your own diagnosis in finding out what is wrong with your vehicles. This was one of the first things I did when I got my PT Cruiser. You can get one very reasonable at Harbor Freight when they are on sale. Do not get the OBDII Scan Reader. Its a smart way to go as you can get your own engine trouble codes and better understand how your vehicles works.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...bdII+scan+tool

I would suggest you get the engine trouble code immediately. Overheating is a very serious condition.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 Nov 2014 at 09:29 am.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your mechanic seem a tad short on diagnoses. Did a flush and replace sensor and not do the thermostat at that time. I would agree to check to see if fan is operational both speeds. Last problem really sounds like low on coolant probly compounded by the original problem not yet fixed.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Nov 2014, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with the others.
Thermostat ought to have been replaced when flush was done.
Fan operation needs to be tested.
Sounds like the cooling system was not bled properly and you had an air bubble.
Have a test done for combustion gas in coolant to ensure head gasket is good.
Might as well get a new radiator cap - cheap, and then you can rule it out as a factor.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Nov 2014, 02:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes the fan speed relays and connections were checked and working properly. Coolant levels are fine. Engine code showed the O2 sensor needs to be replaced, but that would not change to engine temp would it?
Old 18 Nov 2014, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You have two O2 Sensors. Its important to know which sensor is coming up on the engine trouble code.