PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
It's freezing out and Pete Cruiser overheats

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2014, 07:38 am
Young Cruiser

Default It's freezing out and Pete Cruiser overheats

Pete the Cruiser decides today that since its the first cold snap , what better day to overheat.
I let it warm up for a few minutes and as I was beginning my drive I heard popcorn sounds - must have been from the overflow bottle. (boiling at the thermostat I'm guessing)
As I get three or four miles into my trip to work the gauge heads up to 3/4 and its time to turn around and head home.
I'm getting no heat, we are now close to red lining
When I'm close to home I turn the heater off and the gauge does drop a bit.

I log onto PTCruiserlinks to scour threads when my son says he needs a ride to the bus stop. Hop in PT to take him up the street and gauge is at normal and I can smell some faint 'heat' best way to describe it. Turned on the heat but got nothing still. returned to the house and here we are discussing Pete's sudden misbehavings.

Last year it had a water pump (previous owner said - I redid the belt when I bought it and it does look to be new )
Thoughts?
Old 18 Nov 2014, 08:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: It's freezing out and Pete Cruiser overheats

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbuggy View Post
Pete the Cruiser decides today that since its the first cold snap , what better day to overheat.
I let it warm up for a few minutes and as I was beginning my drive I heard popcorn sounds - must have been from the overflow bottle. (boiling at the thermostat I'm guessing)
As I get three or four miles into my trip to work the gauge heads up to 3/4 and its time to turn around and head home.
I'm getting no heat, we are now close to red lining
When I'm close to home I turn the heater off and the gauge does drop a bit.

I log onto PTCruiserlinks to scour threads when my son says he needs a ride to the bus stop. Hop in PT to take him up the street and gauge is at normal and I can smell some faint 'heat' best way to describe it. Turned on the heat but got nothing still. returned to the house and here we are discussing Pete's sudden misbehavings.

Last year it had a water pump (previous owner said - I redid the belt when I bought it and it does look to be new )
Thoughts?
Not sure why theydidn't change the timing belt with the pump. You should have pulled over and let it cool before continuing on . Good way to blow a head gasket and warp a head. Sounds like a thermostat stuck to me. A easy to get to repair.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 18 Nov 2014 at 10:42 am.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 09:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Before you drive it again, with engine cold, take off radiator cap and top off radiator to the brim, and fill the coolant bottle to lower mark.
Could very well be thermostat.
buttdouglas likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Nov 2014, 10:20 am
Young Cruiser

It didn't get to the red line or sound the bell. I would have pulled right over if I thought it was in danger. I drove it less than ten miles.

The belt was something that was rubbing the timing cover when I bought it due to loose engine mounts. during the repair I discovered there was a defect in the belt (po prob used a pry bar or screwdriver to help it on a tensioner perhaps ) I just replaced it for good measure
Old 18 Nov 2014, 10:31 am
Young Cruiser

I just went out and popped the cap off and I can see the thermostat, bottle is at normal height though, hmmm, maybe it just wants coolant
Old 18 Nov 2014, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
It didn't get to the red line or sound the bell. I would have pulled right over if I thought it was in danger. I drove it less than ten miles.

The belt was something that was rubbing the timing cover when I bought it due to loose engine mounts. during the repair I discovered there was a defect in the belt (po prob used a pry bar or screwdriver to help it on a tensioner perhaps ) I just replaced it for good measure
The defect was most likly your problem with the belt. Mounts can't affect this.

Quote:
I just went out and popped the cap off and I can see the thermostat, bottle is at normal height though, hmmm, maybe it just wants coolant
Look closely at the over flow hose end to see if it has a snug fit. If it is loose it will push fluid into the tank but suck air pulling back. If that is good it's leaking somewhere else and sucking air into the system.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Nov 2014, 11:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Not sure what you are saying... Radiator was low?
You need to find where coolant went.
I'd start with thermostat, then have pressure test done and test for combustion gasses in coolant...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 12:14 pm
Young Cruiser

took it down to get a jug of hoat it stayed normal temp on way there. I put about half the jug in ( it took some time because my hands kept freezing up and I sat it the car a few times.) When starting out - again popcorn sounds from the overflow tank. a mile away the temp crept back up toward the red line. I turned on the ac to assure the fan would cool it down and it dropped back to normal temp. Drove it back up the mountain - stayed at normal all the way but when switching to heat - no heat at all. yes the coolant bottle hose is a bit sloppy so I will deal with that.

I did a pressure test a month ago and it does have some leakage somewhere. I know what you guys are saying about head gasket and that has to wait till spring. the car runs great, no power loss so I need to just drive it. Until this cold snap today I had no cooling issues. I honestly hadn't checked the coolant since I bought it in Sep because the coolant tank has been at normal level the whole time and temp gauge hasn't been other than three o clock.

Car was lowered by cutting the springs and I redid the whole mess back to stock, it broke the upper torque strut and loosened the motor mounds from the slamming and banging the car took. The engine got to the point of pinching the upper timing cover and forcing it against the belt. I had to drill out a broken bolt in the block and replace all the mount bolts two of which were bent. The belt was just as I stated - a casualty of this dumb stunt by the po's po. Pete the Cruiser has come a long way in the last few months and yeah I am suspecting the head gasket will need to be done soon regardless as it has close to 250,000 miles. I have my eye on another motor locally in case.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 12:20 pm
Young Cruiser

well let me rephrase the pressure test results. I pumped it up to 18psi, in ten minutes it had dropped to 15psi. This is leakage - but not a big hole and nothing physically leaked from the engine that I could see. It also could be the adapter in the kit and how well it made a seal.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 12:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like you are being realistic and know the odds...