PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tranmisson Leak

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2014, 08:31 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 33
Default Tranmisson Leak

I'v noticed that right in the front of my PT, near the fan area there is about 5 Transmission fluid drops under my hood of my car. I've called my mechanic and the earliest he can squeeze me in is this Wednesday. Someone suggested that I put transmission leak stop, but I think I just want to leave my PT alone until a mechanic looks at it. I hoping it just the cooling tube leaking, but who knows. Has anyone ever had this issue?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2014, 08:51 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,880
Default Re: Tranmisson Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh976 View Post
I'v noticed that right in the front of my PT, near the fan area there is about 5 Transmission fluid drops under my hood of my car. I've called my mechanic and the earliest he can squeeze me in is this Wednesday. Someone suggested that I put transmission leak stop, but I think I just want to leave my PT alone until a mechanic looks at it. I hoping it just the cooling tube leaking, but who knows. Has anyone ever had this issue?
Check your fluid level hot per the owner's manual. Could ps lines going into the radiator. They switched to trans fluid at some point in the power steering. Also some trans cooling lines going to the cooler in that ares. Look and tighten these if they bare wet . Then dry up everything to see if it comes back.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2014, 09:47 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 33
Default Re: Tranmisson Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Check your fluid level hot per the owner's manual. Could ps lines going into the radiator. They switched to trans fluid at some point in the power steering. Also some trans cooling lines going to the cooler in that ares. Look and tighten these if they bare wet . Then dry up everything to see if it comes back.
I've been checking the fluid religiously lol. I bought a liter of trans fluid two days ago and have been putting a little in each day after I check the fluid to make sure it does not get low. I was hoping it was the power steering but the fluid levels have been dead on every time I check it. I will see if I can get my dad to check them out in his garage. Its snowy, icey and very cold in PA so i'm not able to do it in my driveway o
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2014, 11:41 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,880
Default Re: Tranmisson Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh976 View Post
I've been checking the fluid religiously lol. I bought a liter of trans fluid two days ago and have been putting a little in each day after I check the fluid to make sure it does not get low. I was hoping it was the power steering but the fluid levels have been dead on every time I check it. I will see if I can get my dad to check them out in his garage. Its snowy, icey and very cold in PA so i'm not able to do it in my driveway o
You need to check your levels on flat level ground. Only add if it shows low. Start look at the most forward spots on the car for the leak. Wind will carry it back along the underside of everything in it's path. Good job keeping an eye on things.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21 Nov 2014, 01:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 33
Default Re: Tranmisson Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You need to check your levels on flat level ground. Only add if it shows low. Start look at the most forward spots on the car for the leak. Wind will carry it back along the underside of everything in it's path. Good job keeping an eye on things.
Thanks! I've learned the hard way that ignoring things won't make things go away or fix it self! lol
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26 Nov 2014, 11:34 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 33
Default Re: Tranmisson Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You need to check your levels on flat level ground. Only add if it shows low. Start look at the most forward spots on the car for the leak. Wind will carry it back along the underside of everything in it's path. Good job keeping an eye on things.
Well I just got the verdict. It was the Transmission Cooler and hoses. They are only charging me $150 for the replacement of it!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26 Nov 2014, 12:48 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,880
Default Re: Tranmisson Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh976 View Post
Well I just got the verdict. It was the Transmission Cooler and hoses. They are only charging me $150 for the replacement of it!
Way cheaper than a transmission burned up by lack of fluid.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Leak? PepsiWife Tech & Performance Forum 7 11 Mar 2014 06:11 pm
Oil leak, or something else? randomzombie General PT Cruiser Discussions 14 01 Sep 2013 09:26 pm
OIL Leak HELP!!! schwasskin General Turbo Discussions 12 19 May 2013 09:50 pm
Oil Leak, Vacuum leak Ikster Tech & Performance Forum 1 02 Jan 2013 09:53 pm
leak somewhere renderman7 Tech & Performance Forum 3 19 May 2012 07:31 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors