PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No Start only clicking

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Nov 2014, 08:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy No Start only clicking

I have been scouring post for hours and can't find any exact match to my problem.

Car ran fine one day, and the next day turn the key and just click. To be more specific turn the key to the on position, wait for all the racket to stop, then turn the key to start, and one click, and instantly all the lights go out, and the voltage indicator in the cigarette lighter socket goes from 12 to 0 then it comes back on.

I swapped around the relays and it made many clicks before the lights went out.

Also tested the control wire to battery neg and helper turn key to start and 0 voltage in control wire...

I thought that having the key on and jumping the 2 large lugs on the solenoid would cause it to start, but did not work. Also ran a jumper wire (key on) to the control on the starter and it did not work.

Took the starter off and took back to O'reilley where i bought it 5 months ago, and they put on the tester and it worked perfectly!

They suggested it is more than likely the ignition switch so I pick one up for $17.00 but i want to know is there any way to confirm this is bad without tearing into the steering column?
Thanks for helping!
Old 22 Nov 2014, 08:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No Start only clicking

Other members have had trouble with re manufactured starters. Some have replaced it twice and finally had to buy a new one at the dealers. Checking the starter without a load on it doesn't tell us much.

Have you checked your battery? Battery load test? Checked battery fluid level? Have you tried charging your battery?

Have you cleaned both cables at both ends and the battery posts.

Are the headlights bright when you turn them?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Nov 2014 at 08:59 pm.
Old 22 Nov 2014, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I should clarify that the starter would not actually engage on the car. The clicking was the relay. Have checked the body ground and the block ground, checked the battery terminals and post. Also my first instinct was to jump it, which only resulted in faster clicking.
Old 23 Nov 2014, 12:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Other members have had trouble with re manufactured starters. Some have replaced it twice and finally had to buy a new one at the dealers. Checking the starter without a load on it doesn't tell us much.

Have you checked your battery? Battery load test? Checked battery fluid level? Have you tried charging your battery?

Have you cleaned both cables at both ends and the battery posts.

Are the headlights bright when you turn them?
Have to agree.
The click you hear pretty well says the switch is doing it's thing, getting power to the starter, but the starter isn't working.
mityqwik likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Nov 2014, 01:18 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slight_leak View Post
To be more specific turn the key to the on position, wait for all the racket to stop, then turn the key to start, and one click, and instantly all the lights go out, and the voltage indicator in the cigarette lighter socket goes from 12 to 0 then it comes back on.
That sounds like a grounding problem to me...check the ground wire from the negative battery cable that attaches to the underside of the fender.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 23 Nov 2014, 07:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

When that happens this time of year its almost always the battery. I mean two days ago it was 7 when i left for work. If a battery was waiting to take a dump, now would be the time. Have it load tested or Switch it with the one you jumped it with. My customers kid works at orielly here. He has no training. He worked at a tire shop changing tires for a few months, then at a trans shop for a week, now hes at orielly. I like the kid but with the basic car stuff he asks me, id steer clear of orielly advice. Id even be skeptical of him testing a battery or starter right.
JoeX likes this.
Old 23 Nov 2014, 07:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Checked the battery this morning after sitting in the cold and still has 12.3V - it was recently purchased.

Removed block ground, and body ground already, looked okay.

The control wire is not getting power... That's the wire that tells the solenoid to engage the starter. That fact alone should have told me NOT to remove the starter and take to Oreilley- I guess frustration got the best of me on that one.

I think I have eliminated the: Starter, ground issue, battery, fusible link, and the relay.
Old 23 Nov 2014, 11:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

What year and model is your PT Cruiser?
Does your fuel pump start running when you turn the ignition switch on?
What year is your PT Cruiser? You might have a fused ignition switch output. Check your fuses. Fuse #11 might be bad if you have a first generation PT Cruiser.
Old 23 Nov 2014, 11:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Your starter is probably the only item that needs the most amperage from battery to start. Since its seems to be hitting the starter then going dead you either have a short, maybe in the starter or a loose connection, positive or negative or a battery problem, I would put a charger on it first.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 23 Nov 2014, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh hell what a pain in the ass! I hooked up jumper cables and let it charge for awhile- showing 14.3 volts in my cigarette lighter meter- let is charge for like 30 minutes and this time it did crank but then all power went out. Took the battery back to store and argued with the guy there who said it was good, but the manager said just give me a new battery!

Just got home and same thing. OOPS! well now i have been wrong twice, I could go ahead and change the ignition switch and make it a THIRD but i'm reading the official PT Cruiser service manual on page 8B-2 hopefully I can figure it out, but i'm keeping an eye here for help as well. Thanks