PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt difficulties on our 01 PT Cruiser Limited edition

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2014, 05:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Unhappy Timing belt difficulties on our 01 PT Cruiser Limited edition

We are working on a head gasket job on our limited edition 01 PT Cruiser and got cylinder head, rocker arms, camshafts, camshafts sprockets all put back on but we are having problems with the timing belt, we don't really know how the tensioner really works. We got the crankshaft lined up TDC and the cams sprockets lined up perfect and put the belt on the crankshaft then to the water pump then the idler pulley the around the front then back cam sprockets and then down to the tensioner where we are like a real little bit from getting the belt over the tensioner. We tried with the tensioner opened and closed and nothing different. Are we doing something wrong that we don't see? Could someone please tell us because we are following the chilton's book 100% everything from tight sequence to 90 degrees extra on the head bolts. I'm really confused on this part of the job right now.

Thanks allot guys
Alex
Old 23 Nov 2014, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt difficulties on our 01 PT Cruiser Limited edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit2014 View Post
We are working on a head gasket job on our limited edition 01 PT Cruiser and got cylinder head, rocker arms, camshafts, camshafts sprockets all put back on but we are having problems with the timing belt, we don't really know how the tensioner really works. We got the crankshaft lined up TDC and the cams sprockets lined up perfect and put the belt on the crankshaft then to the water pump then the idler pulley the around the front then back cam sprockets and then down to the tensioner where we are like a real little bit from getting the belt over the tensioner. We tried with the tensioner opened and closed and nothing different. Are we doing something wrong that we don't see? Could someone please tell us because we are following the chilton's book 100% everything from tight sequence to 90 degrees extra on the head bolts. I'm really confused on this part of the job right now.

Thanks allot guys
Alex
Put a wrench on the cam or crank and pull the belt towards the side of the tensioner. This should allow the belt to just slid on. If your using first design tensioner The pic may not help with that part of the adjustment procedure.

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

HOW TO's
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Nov 2014, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's been a couple years since I did mine. I remember having a hard time with that also. The Allen wrench wouldn't work. I think I had to twist it up with something else. Wish I could be more help.
Old 23 Nov 2014, 09:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit2014 View Post

Thanks allot guys
Alex
First gen design had a small hydraylic piston that a pin held shaft retracted until the belt was on... and yes there is not much room slide it on.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 26 Nov 2014 at 05:52 am.
Old 23 Nov 2014, 10:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
First gen design had a small hydraylic piston that held retracted untile the belt was on... and yes there is not much room slide it on.

I think first design was just an idler on a spring loaded eccentric.

Hydraulic cylinder was for high RPM engines, 2.0 DOHC (Export)
Old 23 Nov 2014, 11:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
First gen design had a small hydraylic piston that held retracted untile the belt was on... and yes there is not much room slide it on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post

Yes, Ted you're exactly right.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Nov 2014, 08:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Even though likely useless to this conversation, I still feel compelled to say that my Sebring 2.4 had the hydraulic tensioner. And while the belt didn't fail, that tensioner did.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Nov 2014 at 10:20 am.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 09:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Even though likely useless to this conversation, I still fill compelled to say that my Sebring 2.4 had the hydraulic tensioner. And while the belt didn't fail, that tensioner did.

Good none made it to the PT line stateside.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Nov 2014, 11:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Interesting. There was never a case of failed hydraulic adjuster on the neon forum, it was a part you never replaced. All Neons 95-99 had the hydraulic adjuster, so thats quite a few.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 12:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Interesting. There was never a case of failed hydraulic adjuster on the neon forum, it was a part you never replaced. All Neons 95-99 had the hydraulic adjuster, so thats quite a few.
Yes. It was very odd.

At the time my Sebring Convertible had about 160K on the odometer. And while I was going to work, I noticed this "tractor" sound coming from the engine. And it continued to grow louder. I drove it 55 miles back home that day. Then I started looking for the noise. I found it was coming from under the timing cover. When I got the time, I pulled the cover and sure enough, the timing belt was flopping against the plastic cover loose, but HAD NOT JUMPED TIME.

I found there was no tension on the tensioner. The piston was stuck solid and pushed in most all the way. I put in a new belt, water pump and front seal. But ironically, I used a salvage tensioner because they wanted about $75 for the tensioner at the parts stores. And I was not accustom to buying parts online then (2005), so I just found a very nice looking used one for $5 at the salvage yard. The Sebring had way over 200K on it when I sold it. So I guess it held up fine.

PS: The 2.4 in my Sebring Convertible seems much more suited to that car than the 2.4 in my 2001 PT Limited. While not peppy like the turbo in my GT, it never seemed to lack for power. It got better fuel mileage too.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Nov 2014 at 12:08 pm.