Advertisements
Need a little help again

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2014, 01:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Need a little help again

2005 pt cruiser gt
New battery - new starter complete engine overhaul about 4,000 miles ago.
Battery was dead after a cold day. had the alternator checked and it was good. Went bought a new battery #3 battery. thinking that it was not good batteries.
So this morning i tryed to start it and nothing then i really quick tried it again and it started up. drove like 3 miles stopped and shut the car down and tried to restart it and nothing. Put a jump box on it and it runs. remove the jump box and it will still run. Thinking it is the alternator diaodes. even though it just tested good about 2 weeks ago. So i dont know cause the repair place i tow for said the if it runns after you remove the jump box it is not the alternator. What else could it be?? Kind of lost here
Old 24 Nov 2014, 01:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Need a little help again

I'm thinking you have an intermittent open ground. Probably caused by a dirty connection.

There is a ground cluster on the passengers side wheel well, near the top torque bar, under the hood on the older cars. Check that out, even if it looks pretty clean it won't hurt a bit to buff them up a bit and retighten everything.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 02:07 pm
Young Cruiser

OK i will give that a try later !!
Old 24 Nov 2014, 10:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you get yourself a voltmeter. This way you can tell if the alternator is charging at the proper voltage or not.
Does your battery light come on?
The alternator gets power from the ASD relay. Check the wire for breaks.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9VQF View Post
I'm thinking you have an intermittent open ground. Probably caused by a dirty connection.

There is a ground cluster on the passengers side wheel well, near the top torque bar, under the hood on the older cars. Check that out, even if it looks pretty clean it won't hurt a bit to buff them up a bit and retighten everything.
And take off the battery terminals, clean and tighten them, and do the same to starter connections.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Nov 2014, 10:25 am
Young Cruiser

i think that i will try that to night, i just know that i have checked everything else. hope it works.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker05 View Post
2005 pt cruiser gt
New battery - new starter complete engine overhaul about 4,000 miles ago.
Battery was dead after a cold day. had the alternator checked and it was good. Went bought a new battery #3 battery. thinking that it was not good batteries.
So this morning i tryed to start it and nothing then i really quick tried it again and it started up. drove like 3 miles stopped and shut the car down and tried to restart it and nothing. Put a jump box on it and it runs. remove the jump box and it will still run. Thinking it is the alternator diaodes. even though it just tested good about 2 weeks ago. So i dont know cause the repair place i tow for said the if it runns after you remove the jump box it is not the alternator. What else could it be?? Kind of lost here
Not necessarily true. It will run if the battery has enough power to allow it. It could be making enough power to run but not enough to keep battery charged. But usually you should a battery light flash on. Chase all you cable conections and clean all junction points. To rule out the cables. Then you need to have things properly tested.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Nov 2014, 11:29 am
Young Cruiser

I will have to do that throu out the entire engine bay and see what i find. I was all ready thing about redoing the battery cables and new treminals. I started it yesterday after work so it sat for 9 hours, didnot run jumped it and then drove to my 2nd job, about 6 miles. let it sit till 7 am this morning and that would be another 14 hours sitting. tried this morning and it started right up. everything is new except the alternator. I just think it is a ground somewhere, or the car hates sitting.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker05 View Post
. I just think it is a ground somewhere, or the car hates sitting.
Or, you have a drain - do you have fog lights?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Nov 2014, 12:31 pm
Young Cruiser

yes i have foglights. and i have recently replaced the mulitfunction switch.