Advertisements
How to read error codes.....

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2014, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to read error codes.....

I tried this - and it did not work at first...

-------------------------------------------

"QUOTE from Crewzin"

(This "trick" works on all models of cruisers.

1. Place the key into the ignition.

2. Turn the key towards the windshield (without starting the engine) and back again.

3. Do the above 3 times and with the last turn the key left pointing forward (towards the windshield).

4. All three turns should be made within 5 seconds. (it's not hard).

If you did it right, in the middle dial where the odometer is, the fault codes stored in the computer will come up. Example: P0138

If there's no codes stored in the computer, it should read "done".

That's it. Pretty easy.)
------------------------------------------------

I have a 2004 CDR and as I said I tried and tried.
But then I did it faster.. what I mean is, when I tured the key towards the windscreen, I left it there for only .5 of a second..! (3 & 4 in the list) before returning the key back.

So yes... After the 3rd turn... keep the key turned towards the windscreen and the codes should appear..!

Thanks Crewzin...!

Oh yeah... what is P0070 it's not in the list..?

Regards
Mikee-UK
Old 24 Nov 2014, 02:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to read error codes.....

The P0070 code is the Ambient Temperature Sensor. In the US, we don't have the diesel PT, so it will be hard for us to tell you where to start. Looking through this forum it appears that if you have other codes indicating the Mass Air Flow Sensor, the P0070 might be a side effect of that. But I do not know. You will likely have to find someone outside the US that is familiar with your 2.2 diesel.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 03:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok a Chrysler DTC is a Chrysler DTC.

Even if your PT was originally sold in the Philippines.

If I had to guess it was generated by the using the "lame" method key dance to check for DTC's?

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Nov 2014 at 03:30 pm.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 03:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

LYNN! Your saying the key dance created the code itself! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

I know you don't like using that method of retrieving the codes but to say it will cause a fault code to show up by using it?

OK, how about if I say that if some ignorant mechanic shoved the OBDII scanner into the reader port it will bend the pins, give all sorts of false codes and it'll cost the owner a bundle to replace the diagnostic port. So be sure anyone that touches that port at least 3 degrees including basket weaving.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Nov 2014 at 03:48 pm.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
LYNN! Your saying the key dance created the code itself! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

I know you don't like using that method of retrieving the codes but to say it will cause a fault code to show up by using it?
oh ok...well try to recreate what he did and let me know how that works out for you PLEASE!

Keep in mind if you cycle the switch to far in the forward start position you activate the *starting sequence in the PCM and then rotating the key counterclockwise you cancel it. By doing so a couple of time you could activate a DTC fail start ( any *specific #) even if temporary.

I have done this many times be accident when loading ECU/PCM files in a few vehicles and getting hurried.

You may have noticed that there was NO mention of the engine light only the DTC? that is your clue!

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Nov 2014 at 04:01 pm.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The first poster didn't say anything about accidentally starting the engine, just that he didn't turn the key fast enough as explained in the No#4 of the instructions.

Also the code was for the ambient temperature sensor and nothing to do with anything about a fail-to-start DTC.

Now I agree that "maybe" all fault codes won't show up while doing the key dance and the scanner can dig deeper into generic codes like the P0700 but in a pinch, the key dance can lead you in the right direction. It sure did with the P0340 when my harness for the camshaft sensor burnt up.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 06:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

um.... can you read your ambient gauge without in acc or start ignition key position?
I never mention accidentally starting his engine either now did I. Perhaps going back and re-reading exactly what I responded with may help.

So with that I guess you did go out and "fling" your ignition key back and forth to see what would happen then.

Also can you please find any Chrysler automotive technicians training manual that instruction the use of key access to retrieve DTC's. Or ASE Automotive Diagnostic Technician pre test or even on a test and I will not mention it again not to use it as a good method to retrieve DTC's.

I have mention before that I do understand that some people have used it and claimed it has helped them I am only once again emphasizing it is not a proper or the best way to retrieve DTCs.

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Nov 2014 at 06:15 pm. Reason: busa was a firm user of xanax daily
Old 24 Nov 2014, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How about the gauge test where you hold in the trip button while turning the key forward to test the numbers and all the dials of each gauge? That's not in the manual either but it works. You can't fault someone for using a short cut or "trick" if it helps in what their doing.
soyomb and rcktpwrd like this.