PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to test for fuel pressure on 2.4L non-turbo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2014, 12:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to test for fuel pressure on 2.4L non-turbo?

I've been having problems starting, and want to know if it is the fuel pump relay or not. My fears are that the pump is gunked down in the bottom of the fuel tank, necessitating a replacement. Where can I check the pressure getting to the engine?

07 4-dr Touring Edition non-turbo
67k miles
Old 26 Nov 2014, 01:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to test for fuel pressure on 2.4L non-turbo?

The fuel pump is controlled directly from the TIPM.
You should get 58 PSI average with the engine running.
Have you been getting any engine trouble codes and if so what are they?
Old 26 Nov 2014, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Also what symptoms are you experiencing. The more detail the better.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Nov 2014, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm123 View Post
I've been having problems starting, and want to know if it is the fuel pump relay or not. My fears are that the pump is gunked down in the bottom of the fuel tank, necessitating a replacement. Where can I check the pressure getting to the engine?

07 4-dr Touring Edition non-turbo
67k miles
I had the fuel pump replaced recently on my PT. The symptoms that my PT had was a long crank on a cold engine. Once started, the vehicle would start fine until it sat overnight, then start again with the long crank. I took it to the dealer and they did a fuel system pressure and leakdown test that tested both the fuel pump side and the injectors. Their test didn't show anything unusual. When I was at the dealership, I noticed that they had their gauge set plugged into the fuel line connector at the firewall where the steel line that runs back to the fuel tank transitions to a flexible line to the fuel rail. However, the one test they can't do is they cannot test the flow or output of a fuel pump. It might be producing enough pressure, but may be low on volume. To me, my PT was almost acting like a check valve (if there is one) on the pump wasn't holding pressure in the line overnight, and therefore, the engine had to crank a long time to build pressure up again before it would start. After pump replacement, my PT fires right off, every time, in a few milliseconds, no more long crank!

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 26 Nov 2014 at 10:48 am.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Same symptoms as above. Extremely long cranking, and no firing whatsoever - overheated a couple of times, so there's that.

Now, would I just replace the fuel pump, or the module too?

Having a code thrown for an oxygen sensor too, the one next to the catalytic converter, so I would appreciate a diagram for that.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 06:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
My fears are that the pump is gunked down in the bottom of the fuel tank, necessitating a replacement.
i would be very surprised if there was anything at all in the fuel tank as far as gunk or debris. i had to change my pump at 240,000 miles and the inside of the tank was unbelievably 100% spotless and clean. i'm a pefectionist and i was ready to clean it up in there, but it looked PERFECT inside!

ive only known of one car that had a hard start due to fuel pressure, and that was caused by the owner replacing a long portion of the steel line with high pressure rubber fuel hose. well, besides due to the valve that rckstein posted about above. that makes perfect sense.

when i pressure tested my PT, these were the results:

pressure was 56psi
from 0 to 2:00(car off), the pressure actually (very)slowly rose 2psi to 58psi
at 4:00, the pressure was still at 58 psi
after 10 minutes, the pressure was still holding 53psi.

unfortunately, the easiest way for you to do a fuel pressure test would likely be to get an older fuel rail like from a pre-2004 model so you have a schrader valve on the end of it.

for now, you might turn the key on and off a few times to prime the system and build pressure in the fuel line before you actually turn the key and start it. see if that makes a difference and let us know.

Last edited by rob342; 28 Nov 2014 at 06:29 pm.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Same symptoms as above. Extremely long cranking, and no firing whatsoever - overheated a couple of times, so there's that.

Now, would I just replace the fuel pump, or the module too?

Having a code thrown for an oxygen sensor too, the one next to the catalytic converter, so I would appreciate a diagram for that.
Before you think about replacing the fuel pump you need to check other things that might cause the problem.

Is it a extremely long slow cranking or extremely long fast cranking?
Old 28 Nov 2014, 08:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It starts out normal, like it was when it used to start up normally, but if you keep holding the key to ignite, it will slow down.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 08:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you do a battery load test on the battery. The PT Cruisers are very sensitive to voltage drop. Do the load test with the battery in the PT Cruiser. Clean both battery posts and cables before taking it in for the load test.
Old 29 Nov 2014, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Battery is fine, I'm sure connections might be the problem, but don't know.

Hitting the gas tank while trying to start it didn't work either. Where is the fuel pump relay on the fuse box? And where is the interior fuse box?