05 PT Cruiser Turbo factory idler pully bolt sheared off

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2014, 06:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 PT Cruiser Turbo factory idler pully bolt sheared off

Just wanted to first say Hello to all.

Need to give some background to explain this convoluted issue. Car belongs to my daughter's mom. Her mom purchased it new from Dealer. My Daughter's mom will gift car to her provided my daughter pays for all repairs, which is why I am involved.

Car died, mechanic (not dealer) diagnosed broken timing belt, upon opening timing belt cover belt was intact and in good shape. Bolt for Chrysler factory installed idler pulley had sheared off. Mechanic(s) at shop stated they have never seen a factory installed idler pulley bolt shear off. (Pics below) I know there are cases of a replacement pulley over tightened or whatever and shearing but I cannot find anything on internet with this scenario. Ex is 5Ft 2 110lbs and drives like little old lady.

Car has had constant problems per my daughter, ex spent thousands of $$ (sounds high) at dealership. Car has 95k miles, factory manual replacement lists 105,000. Since she bought car from local dealer as far as I am concerned this is on Chrysler no if and(s) or buts. I do realize that most likely she will have to escalate this up to corporate office and pursue it like a bulldog. Three questions.
1) Has anyone on here seen something like this or even heard of this type of failure?

2) Would it be possible with a letter and/or power of attorney for my daughter (with my help) to pursue this? (Despite fair market bluebook of $3500 ex does not want to have anything more to do with Chrysler in this lifetime. Needless to say new car is not Chrysler)

3) Whether it's my ex or daughter pursuing this, is Chrysler going to do the right thing or just blow her off?

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible Touring Turbo VIN 8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1871.jpg (13.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG955179.jpg (11.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG955587.jpg (14.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 26 Nov 2014, 06:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 PT Cruiser Turbo factory idler pully bolt sheared off

First, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas.

Do you know for sure that the dealer already replaced the timing belt, water pump or anything that would have required the idler to be removed during repair? If so, then over-torquing of this bolt might have been the issue. It could have also been over-torqued at the factory causing it to later crack. It's hard to say.

Your other questions are mostly legal and will take someone with legal experience specific to your state. That will likely mean talking to a local attorney. The laws on these things vary a lot depending on what state you are in.

If you just need advice on how to fix this, you have come to the right place. There's lot of existing threats on how to change the timing belt and I suspect the broken bolt will be a matter of drilling and then using an ease-out. But we would likely need better and larger photos to truly help.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 26 Nov 2014 at 06:54 pm.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 PT Cruiser Turbo factory idler pully bolt sheared off

If the original owner had one of the lifetime warranties you might have some luck. Never seen any complaints of this. To remove I would take a ball peen hammer and smack it firmly then use a dremel and cut a slot to get a wide bladed screw driver and it will probly screw right out. The hit with the hammer is to shear the bond of the threads.
Handy_Cruiser and JoeX like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
idler, pulley, sheared