Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT cruiser sputtering and stalling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2014, 06:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT cruiser sputtering and stalling

I'll try to recap everything that I've done and the issues that I've face chronologically

Recently I took on the project Of Replacing the head gasket on a Friends 2.4 PT (the oil was literally a vanilla milkshake from Mcdonalds) and everything went smooth for the most part. Here is a list of repairs I did.

Replaced Gasket and head bolts (tourqued to spec)
Re-surfaced Head ( was warped )
Replaced Timing belt
water pump was recently done so i figured that would be fine.

Upon putting the car back together Everything went relatively easy beside what is rumored to be difficult (the plate removal on the side of the motor was the biggest set back) My friend and I spent many hours perfecting the timing until it was perfect so I'm not overly concerned with that being an issue.

On one of the last steps of the rebuild I made a rookie mistake and apparently a common one and plugged the Cam Sensor into the coil pack and Vice versa. The entire ECU was re-wired and spliced by someone before me so it wasn't suprising I didn't notice the difference. REGARDLESS I switched them around and the car started and the motor was very quiet and wasn't missing a beat. The idle then began to flucuate and a vacuum leak CEL was displayed so I checked what I figured was the problem and sure enough the EGR valve o-ring wasn't seated properly on the intake manifold. Fixed that and now the car starts after it turns over for a second and doesn't go crazy like before and the CEL is gone. After that I figured it would run well and It isn't driving the worst but there are a few problems that have me confused.

-Occasionally When the car is put into gear in will start to die down/sputter
-the idle in nuetral and park is pretty good
-I replaced the IAC with another one, not a new one but a used one just to see if there was a difference and there wasn't
-When accelerating the car sputters and sometimes the oil light will flash and go right out in two seconds after the car smooths out.
-When coming to a stop it will stall unless gas is being applied

What I find bizarre is that on the highway or speeds in excess of 40-45 MPH the car drives PERFECTLY. No problems downshifting,etc.

Here is a list of Codes Currently Displayed
(I've Red and Reviewed them all but I'd like
some other opinions of what the direct problem is)

-P1684
-P0340
-P0123
-P0118
-P1391
-P1193

Some input/advice would be awesome, Thanks again.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 08:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT cruiser sputtering and stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTaddict View Post
I'll try to recap everything that I've done and the issues that I've face chronologically

Recently I took on the project Of Replacing the head gasket on a Friends 2.4 PT (the oil was literally a vanilla milkshake from Mcdonalds) and everything went smooth for the most part. Here is a list of repairs I did.

Replaced Gasket and head bolts (tourqued to spec)
Re-surfaced Head ( was warped )
Replaced Timing belt
water pump was recently done so i figured that would be fine.

Upon putting the car back together Everything went relatively easy beside what is rumored to be difficult (the plate removal on the side of the motor was the biggest set back) My friend and I spent many hours perfecting the timing until it was perfect so I'm not overly concerned with that being an issue.

On one of the last steps of the rebuild I made a rookie mistake and apparently a common one and plugged the Cam Sensor into the coil pack and Vice versa. The entire ECU was re-wired and spliced by someone before me so it wasn't suprising I didn't notice the difference. REGARDLESS I switched them around and the car started and the motor was very quiet and wasn't missing a beat. The idle then began to flucuate and a vacuum leak CEL was displayed so I checked what I figured was the problem and sure enough the EGR valve o-ring wasn't seated properly on the intake manifold. Fixed that and now the car starts after it turns over for a second and doesn't go crazy like before and the CEL is gone. After that I figured it would run well and It isn't driving the worst but there are a few problems that have me confused.

-Occasionally When the car is put into gear in will start to die down/sputter
-the idle in nuetral and park is pretty good
-I replaced the IAC with another one, not a new one but a used one just to see if there was a difference and there wasn't
-When accelerating the car sputters and sometimes the oil light will flash and go right out in two seconds after the car smooths out.
-When coming to a stop it will stall unless gas is being applied

What I find bizarre is that on the highway or speeds in excess of 40-45 MPH the car drives PERFECTLY. No problems downshifting,etc.

Here is a list of Codes Currently Displayed
(I've Red and Reviewed them all but I'd like
some other opinions of what the direct problem is)

-P1684
-P0340
-P0123
-P0118
-P1391
-P1193

Some input/advice would be awesome, Thanks again.
I would be checking the wiring harness for these items. The harness for the crank sensor on the 01 02 can rumb the axle among other things and cause problems.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com