Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2014, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Unusual loud sounds

Good evening and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, I am writing with a problem I have in a 2008 PT. Standard stuff, automatic four speed transmission, regular body style, engine and tires. Vehicle has 96512 miles as of this message. For several months, there is a loud roaring kind of sound, almost like as if the transmission were not shifting into appropriately high gear. However, I have observed the power plant making shifts into 2, 3 & 4 even though I do think it is operating at slightly higher RPM than is healthy for those gears. The right front tire was recently replaced, for unusual extreme tread wear specific to that wheel, other three were typical wear pattern. All other components, electrical, suspension, exhaust, etc appear otherwise normal to me. It is my sole automobile, wife and children using it while I am OTR commercial driver, so attempting to identify and diagnose correctly so as not to jeopardise family. Thanks ahead for all help and assistance, and happy holiday to all. Cheers! =)
Old 27 Nov 2014, 08:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Unusual loud sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrainemotor View Post
Good evening and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, I am writing with a problem I have in a 2008 PT. Standard stuff, automatic four speed transmission, regular body style, engine and tires. Vehicle has 96512 miles as of this message. For several months, there is a loud roaring kind of sound, almost like as if the transmission were not shifting into appropriately high gear. However, I have observed the power plant making shifts into 2, 3 & 4 even though I do think it is operating at slightly higher RPM than is healthy for those gears. The right front tire was recently replaced, for unusual extreme tread wear specific to that wheel, other three were typical wear pattern. All other components, electrical, suspension, exhaust, etc appear otherwise normal to me. It is my sole automobile, wife and children using it while I am OTR commercial driver, so attempting to identify and diagnose correctly so as not to jeopardise family. Thanks ahead for all help and assistance, and happy holiday to all. Cheers! =)
Wheel bearing or other suspension components. Kids can burn a tire off with aggressive driving.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Nov 2014, 11:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wheel bearing a definite possibility - any good tire place ought to be able to diagnose quickly...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Nov 2014, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Youtube video of car sounds as requested

I'm inclined to think it is a wheel bearing as was suggested, but since I was asked to grab a video, I did so for more proper identification of said sound.

Thanks!
Old 30 Nov 2014, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Youtube video of car sounds as requested

I'm inclined to think it is a wheel bearing as was suggested, but since I was asked to grab a video, I did so for more proper identification of said sound.

Thanks!
Sounds like you have a few things possible. Wonder if noise goes away or changes at speed if just put it into neutral and get off the gas and cost. Exhaust sounds very loud. The clunking noises also. Could be sway bar bushings and or watts link components. Who has been looking at the PT for these?I would look at the rear hubs as well for bad bearings.
migrainemotor likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Nov 2014, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Heya, and thanks for the reply so quickly =) For better or worse, largely worse, I've not had the first dime to spend on diagnosis or repair to the vehicle as of yet for almost 13 months. We've had almost a daytime made-for-TV movie spell of family deaths, job changes, physical relocation and the like for all that time, and simply haven't had the ability to investigate properly.

Now, it isn't apparent in the video link, but the sounds that are heard are very plainly from the forward part of the automobile, such that I'm not inclined to think much is bad on the rear axle. I've actually hung myself outside the passenger window port while the vehicle was in motion, and could not hear anything unusual...all such sounds were only present inside the people space of the carriage. Exhaust leak, of course could materialise anywhere. The necessity of having replaced the RF tire compels me to think the bearing on that spot is the most likely fault. That being said, I am ignorant...what is a watts linkage, or sway bar? How difficult is the proper repair for said items, and/or likely amount of time involved for a mechanic (so I can estimate repair cost?)

I thank everyone again for the assistance. As to it coasting in neutral, I'd have to go take it out to test that, so will have done so next time I post. Cheers all =)
Old 30 Nov 2014, 04:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Heya, and thanks for the reply so quickly =) For better or worse, largely worse, I've not had the first dime to spend on diagnosis or repair to the vehicle as of yet for almost 13 months. We've had almost a daytime made-for-TV movie spell of family deaths, job changes, physical relocation and the like for all that time, and simply haven't had the ability to investigate properly.

Now, it isn't apparent in the video link, but the sounds that are heard are very plainly from the forward part of the automobile, such that I'm not inclined to think much is bad on the rear axle. I've actually hung myself outside the passenger window port while the vehicle was in motion, and could not hear anything unusual...all such sounds were only present inside the people space of the carriage. Exhaust leak, of course could materialise anywhere. The necessity of having replaced the RF tire compels me to think the bearing on that spot is the most likely fault. That being said, I am ignorant...what is a watts linkage, or sway bar? How difficult is the proper repair for said items, and/or likely amount of time involved for a mechanic (so I can estimate repair cost?)

I thank everyone again for the assistance. As to it coasting in neutral, I'd have to go take it out to test that, so will have done so next time I post. Cheers all =)
Watts link in in the rear connected to the rear axle in the middle with two bars running to it. Easy to slide under the bak bumper and shake the bars for loose and noise. Sway bar is in the front. Round bar ends bent like a l shape and connects to the control arms. The bushings that hold it on the undercarriage become loose and bar rattles around. A good way to check the rear bearings is to raise the rear and spin the wheel and listen. Then shake the wheel for movement. Same for the front for movement. Excet you grab it by the top and bottom to check the bearing for movement and Grab the side and shake for tie rods.
migrainemotor likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Dec 2014, 08:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

I watched the video and it sounds like a wheel bearing. I also heard clunks when driving over bumps. Jack up the front and rear ends and check for play in the wheels.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 08:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So, I took all the notes from all the responses here and in a related thread (see: Loud Engine Noise - Roar ) which I had forgotten I had posted in parallel to this one back in the day (Sorry...) and have excellent news!

As surmised, yes it was not one but both front wheel bearings. That much was relatively obvious to everyone who watched the video, and my thanks for the assistance there. Over the past couple of months, my mechanic and I were trying to fix everything that could be fixed, so as not to have to do this again unnecessarily. One item that I knew was true at the beginning of this exercise was a wildly errant front end alignment, which caused me to eat two new tires in three months on the passenger front wheel. Point is that while I knew from the respondents to this thread, that the bearings were undoubtedly the problem, I wanted to see what else might be a problem that I could easily identify whilst negotiating this one, and I'm glad I did.

For starters, as already mentioned I had an amazingly out of alignment wheel set. That was easily enough corrected with the alignment laser boxes, and it now sits as near to dead centre on the steering column as I can imagine. I observed the front lug nuts being wickedly hot, after only driving short distances of one or two miles. Come to find out that I had a pinched brake return line on the driver's side, which was denying the calliper to retract after the brakes had been applied. This of course, after multitudes of heating and cooling cycles, had welded the mounting system bolts, and warped the rotor on the driver's side, as the perpetual friction had transmitted heat outward. Went ahead and replaced both callipers, one rotor, and broke the lower of two bolts connecting the strut and needed to replace it, which I did with a nice class 10 hardened bolt and a pair of washers of the same material. The alignment had either been caused by, or had itself made worse, the tie rods which were so loose that I was able to pull out the driver's side connection with my offside hand, so was quite thankful to have noticed this up on a jack rather than in an unresponsive vehicle on the highway. A pair of those fixed up quite nicely, and I went ahead and replaced the rearview mirror only because I had to get the state inspection anyway while this was going on.

In total, this car is now the better operating one between my son's and it, and I appreciate everyone who volunteered some information here. I still need to replace the passenger strut, which is largely out of fluid now, but that is the only structural item left and not an impending issue. Now off to better and brighter things!