Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check engine light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2014, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Check engine light

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser, base package with 83,000 miles which I bought back in June, so I don't know the history of the car.

Since June, the check engine light has come on four times. It will be on for maybe a week and then go off for about a month.

The first time it came on a mechanic told me it was a camshaft sensor, but it was a false reading. The second time, O'Reilly told me it was a exhaust leak.
The third time it went off before I had it tested. The fourth time, O'Reilly told me it was EVAP purge system.

Each time it comes on it is something different with no repeats of a problem. It stays on for about a week and then goes off for about a month.

Am I getting false readings?
Old 29 Nov 2014, 01:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
I have a 2003 PT Cruiser, base package with 83,000 miles which I bought back in June, so I don't know the history of the car.

Since June, the check engine light has come on four times. It will be on for maybe a week and then go off for about a month.

The first time it came on a mechanic told me it was a camshaft sensor, but it was a false reading. The second time, O'Reilly told me it was a exhaust leak.
The third time it went off before I had it tested. The fourth time, O'Reilly told me it was EVAP purge system.

Each time it comes on it is something different with no repeats of a problem. It stays on for about a week and then goes off for about a month.

Am I getting false readings?
IMO These diagnostic accessing and procedures are not being done to the best advantage for you as far as the explanation and your view point of what and how it was done.

To begin you need to set a DELTA.

Clear any and all DTC's. It would even be better to access the IM readiness file and reset it as well.

Then you need to do a simple drive of at least 30 miles and recheck for DTCs.

OK on a lighter side PaulB...does that stand for Paul Buyan?

Note them and clear them again. Do Not reset the IM readiness file at this point.

It would be better if you can do at least one complete engine cycle which means letting the engine set over night and then starting and driving for at least 45 minutes. At that time recheck for DTC note them and clear them. If you are able check the IM readiness file and note any area still in fault.

Now you compare all your notes and that will give you an accurate way to start looking at the area or parts needing attention.

If you are not able to do this then at least properly clear your DTC through the OBDII diagnostic port with a scan tool and recheck after a short drive and then after a normal days driving and compare the DTCs.

Last edited by NitroPT; 29 Nov 2014 at 02:02 pm.
Old 29 Nov 2014, 02:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
PaulB

Old 29 Nov 2014, 03:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, your information was really helpful.