PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
bad mileage with no reason why

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2014, 03:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default bad mileage with no reason why

so i've been doing research and reading posts and now i am at the end of my rope. i got the coolan thing straightened out so that was not the issue. after having my timing belt and water pump changed i noticed a drastic change in my MPG. i went from arounf 240-260 per tank to about 160 per tank. you guys have any ideas why or what i can try to improve this? thanks in advance guys.

2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Old 29 Nov 2014, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: bad mileage with no reason why

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05purplept View Post
so i've been doing research and reading posts and now i am at the end of my rope. i got the coolan thing straightened out so that was not the issue. after having my timing belt and water pump changed i noticed a drastic change in my MPG. i went from arounf 240-260 per tank to about 160 per tank. you guys have any ideas why or what i can try to improve this? thanks in advance guys.
1) How many tanks?
2) You start you car and let it warm up before driving?
3) Check your tires - I'll bet they are low (lower temps reduce air pressure)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Nov 2014, 04:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
1) How many tanks?
2) You start you car and let it warm up before driving?
3) Check your tires - I'll bet they are low (lower temps reduce air pressure)
at least 5 tanks, probably more. maybe 3-5 minutes warm up time. and i will do that tomorrow when i have some time.

Old 29 Nov 2014, 05:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

i wouldn't think those things would cause a dramatic loss like that though. i could be wrong, but it seems like there may be more to it than that.

Old 29 Nov 2014, 05:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
i wouldn't think those things would cause a dramatic loss like that though. i could be wrong, but it seems like there may be more to it than that.
I think a combination of things. Those I mentioned, plus, winter gas formula gives poorer mileage. Engine takes longer to warm up, so car runs "richer" longer. Oil is thicker at lower temps, causing more frictional loss.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Nov 2014, 05:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

wow. didn't think it would be that much though. also, i just remembered the last time i was under the hood with it running i revved it a bit and noticed a sucking sound coming from the back of the bay kinda toward the overflow bottle for the rad. any ideas what that could be?

Old 29 Nov 2014, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
wow. didn't think it would be that much though. also, i just remembered the last time i was under the hood with it running i revved it a bit and noticed a sucking sound coming from the back of the bay kinda toward the overflow bottle for the rad. any ideas what that could be?
Your gas milage being sucke away. Check you vac hoses going into the intake manifold. Cracked exahast manifold on the N/a will cause gas milage lose.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Nov 2014, 06:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

okay. cracked exhaust would cause me to smell exhaust though, right? no exhaust smell in the bay area. ill try to get into it more tomorrow. any hoses i should look for?

Old 29 Nov 2014, 06:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
okay. cracked exhaust would cause me to smell exhaust though, right? no exhaust smell in the bay area. ill try to get into it more tomorrow. any hoses i should look for?
Not necessarily. These a famous for cracking. Can usually see it if you remove the top heat shield cover.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Nov 2014, 06:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

ok. that's a tomorrow project. i'll take a look and let you guys and gals know. thanks