PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Parking brake shoes

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2014, 07:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Parking brake shoes

My 2001 LE has combined disc and drum brakes to rear. I have a terrible squeal from the parking brake drum on one side with the drum very hot.

I lifted the car and removed the wheel but try as I might I can not get the drum off. The Haynes manual (as much use as a chocolate fireguard sometimes) just says release automatic brake adjustment through hole on back plate. There is no hole in the back plate.

What I do have is a fitting where I believe the hole to be held by one bolt but the fitting also has a small plastic flexible tube running in to it. As this is not mentioned in the manual, and I have no idea what it does I am loathe to remove it.

Anyone know what this fitting does and can I remove it safely. Most things I will tackle on the car working blind but when it comes to the brakes I want to be certain I know what I am doing.

A secondary question to this, has anyone had the parking brakes bind and cause a wheel vibration which seems to come from the front? I have this vibration at various speeds in different road conditions which appears to come from the front, but I have had both wheels removed and checked/balanced, they are fine. I am hoping the binding brake at the rear might have been causing this problem.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 10:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Parking brake shoes

I think you are talking about the ABS sensor (antilock brake sensor) when you are describing the small plastic tube and bolt. This is not the hole the manual is describing.

On the back plate, there might be one or two approx. 1 inch by 1/4 inch indentations. They are mostly already cut out except for a small tab of metal holding them in. Sometimes they are removed already and the hole filled by a rubber plug and other times they are left in, depending on who may have serviced the brakes in the past.

If you don't have those holes then the only other way is to beat on the drum with a hammer while pulling on the other side of your drum with your hand. You should be able to work it off. Just go all around the drum while pulling and banging on it.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 12:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Myckee

I am glad I did not pull off this part, I can find no mention of this in the Haynes manual. I shall keep on looking for another slot.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post

A secondary question to this, has anyone had the parking brakes bind and cause a wheel vibration which seems to come from the front? I have this vibration at various speeds in different road conditions which appears to come from the front, but I have had both wheels removed and checked/balanced, they are fine. I am hoping the binding brake at the rear might have been causing this problem.
Try putting the front wheels on the back and see if it changes anything.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Nov 2014, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post

You should look for a tie rod, either inner or outer for this. If not there. Look at the other suspension components for something worn.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Nov 2014, 01:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does the rotor turn freely? If so then you are probly stuck to the hub. Squirt some penetrating oil around the center hub as it come through the rotor hat and in the holes the studs protrude through. Then on the flats between the studs. Smack it with a big heavy hammer all the way around until it pops loose. Being very careful not to hit any of the studs and damaging them. You should be able to wiggle it off.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Nov 2014, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im partial to the three pronged pullers for this. Always made me fear the "potential" damage done to bearings when hit like described here. I know it works, but when I see it, it's like nails on a chalk board to me...
Old 30 Nov 2014, 03:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for all your comments guys, I shall give it a go again next weekend. As for the tie rods, I have already replaced all front bushings, but good idea I shall check everything is all tight.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 09:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Be certain the e-brake is released when you try to get the drum off.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Nov 2014, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just had my disk/drums off for the 1st time last week,they took some penetrating oil and several hits with a large rubber hammer to free them up,they will come off if you keep at it.
Upon reassembly I coated the centers with anti-seize..

Tags
drum, parking brake, vibration