PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 Parasitic Draw

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2014, 12:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 Parasitic Draw

My PT would never start after sitting for 2 days. One day OK, it would run all day and no starting issues. If I jumped it after day two, it would charge the battery up real fast. After testing at two auto parts stores (to determine reliability) they said all the electrical systems and the battery was fine.
So, I did a "battery drain parasitic draw test".
With 2 different meters (testing reliability) I determined the draw to be .065
(65MA) . After poking around I read that the average is .03.
Now I can't remember which model car this reading was for.
My old Corvette was .01 and my 06 Mustang was 1.60
so, I know all cars are different depending on the electrical system.
Please, does anyone know what the acceptable draw should be.
(Yes, the fuse for the fog lamps has been removed)
If the figure is high, I will of course have to start pulling fuses to determine the circuit.... correct?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04 Dec 2014, 12:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 02 Parasitic Draw

I don't know the draw, but it has been posted before that a bad MFS will still draw power for the fog lights even with the fuse removed.

37 seconds in.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 04 Dec 2014 at 01:01 pm.
Old 04 Dec 2014, 01:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK thanks, Then if I disconnect the MFS the draw should diminish.
This doesn't seem to difficult. I see from the General Discussion Board there is a
"sticky" for this procedure.
Old 04 Dec 2014, 01:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I don't know the draw, but it has been posted before that a bad MFS will still draw power for the fog lights even with the fuse removed.

37 seconds in.
I'm driving a 03 n/a that has the fog light fuse pulled no issue. IDK

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 04 Dec 2014 at 04:54 pm.
Old 04 Dec 2014, 01:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quoted from factory shop manual:

"The term Ignition-Off Draw (IOD) identifies a normal condition where power is being drained from the battery with the ignition switch in the Off position.
A normal vehicle electrical system will draw from five to thirty-five milliamperes (0.005 to 0.035 ampere) with the ignition switch in the Off position, and all non-ignition controlled circuits in proper working order.
Up to thirty-five milliamperes are needed to enable the memory functions for the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), digital clock, electronically tuned radio, and other modules which may vary with the vehicle equipment.
If the vehicle is equipped with an illuminated entry system or an electronically tuned radio, allow the electronic timer function of these systems to automatically shut off (time out). This may take up to three minutes.
If the IOD is over thirty-five milliamperes, the problem must be found and corrected...
If the amperage reading remains high, remove and replace each fuse or circuit breaker first in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) and then in the Dash Junction Block (JB), one at a time until the amperage reading becomes very low, or nonexistent."
Old 04 Dec 2014, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I do not think a 65mA draw is much.
Do some arithmetic and figure out amp-hours at .065 A - it's well below the amp-hours a good battery should hold for days.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Dec 2014, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I do not think a 65mA draw is much.
Do some arithmetic and figure out amp-hours at .065 A - it's well below the amp-hours a good battery should hold for days.
Quoted from factory shop manual:

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Dec 2014, 09:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I discovered the draw was from number 13 fuse - (the interior lighting)
All lights go out. (I stayed in the car and closed the door in a absolutely dark garage) This is a huge circuit..... tips on where to start looking appreciated.
Old 04 Dec 2014, 09:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow77 View Post
All lights go out. (I stayed in the car and closed the door in a absolutely dark garage) This is a huge circuit..... tips on where to start looking appreciated.
Anything that is not factory original would be a good start. Beyond that you will have to start pulling bulbs where you can. Until you affect a change in the draw.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Dec 2014, 10:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow77 View Post
1) what did draw drop to?
2) Suggest you leave fuse out and see if car starts in a couple days....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles