PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Filled torque struts on the Passenger side, what options are there for Trans side?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2014, 07:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Filled torque struts on the Passenger side, what options are there for Trans side?!

Hey, what if any are our options for a solid torque strut set up for the drivers side?!

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.95 at 118.41mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 05 Dec 2014, 08:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Filled torque struts on the Passenger side, what options are there for Trans side

There's no torque strut on the driver's side. But I believe you can get a more solid polyurethane or billet transmission mount for the driver's side. There are a lot of them for the SRT4. Not sure if these work on the PT.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Dec 2014 at 08:31 pm.
Old 06 Dec 2014, 11:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Filled torque struts on the Passenger side, what options are there for Trans side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
There's no torque strut on the driver's side. But I believe you can get a more solid polyurethane or billet transmission mount for the driver's side. There are a lot of them for the SRT4. Not sure if these work on the PT.
Can anyone verify if there is a Billet mount for the drivers side or at least an insert?

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.95 at 118.41mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
Old 07 Dec 2014, 01:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I cannot find one now. I've seen a photo of one. But it may have been shop made. The mount is different than the one for the SRT4 Neon.
Old 08 Dec 2014, 02:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I cannot find one now. I've seen a photo of one. But it may have been shop made. The mount is different than the one for the SRT4 Neon.
Ok, Ill probably fill the mount then with PL Premium.
Now what about the DCR suspension straps; has anyone used them before?

96 SOHC Neon Turbo
Old 09 Dec 2014, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLNeon View Post
Ok, Ill probably fill the mount then with PL Premium.
Now what about the DCR suspension straps; has anyone used them before?

The transmission housing should be reinforced around the mounting area before using any firmer or solid mount or you may damage the case.

The McPherson strut (DCR)"Drag Straps" or similar suspension shock travel limiting device is designed for track or off road vehicles only and also those that first have upgraded drag racing suspension components. A locking or limited slip differential (better an adjustable unit) should be used with these type of limiters. This device is to cure a traction problem of a specific kind and just adding it could actually decrease launch traction and increasing you ETs.

PL PremiumŪ Polyurethane Construction Adhesive is a poor racers cure attempting to increase the strength of OEM mounts. You would first need to know the #Durometer rating the current supplied product to compare with the OEM mount. The best application is to first start with a NEW mount. Then you would need to carefully apply the Polyurethane Construction Adhesive in such a manor that you would not get air bubbles which would decrease it effectiveness using it as a strengthener. This process is very hard to do and requires preparing the part for best uniform adhesion and carefully controlled temperature during application and setting.
Without these steps you will have unpredictable mount action under load which can greatly effect consistent ETs.

In most cases you will spend more money and time modifying the stock mount then just buying aftermarket semi "solid" mounts and if needed custom order a specific #Durometer for your specific needs.

There are better ways to improve a "NEW" stock mount.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 09 Dec 2014 at 11:40 am.
Old 09 Dec 2014, 02:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I do realise that there are better options out there, But this is a Budget build lol. I knickname it after the Last one I built "EL Cheepo". I had good luck with the PL Premium in that car. I wish I had the budget to just sent the struts out to be re-valved for less rebound instead of trying the drag straps. I do have access to stock car wheel scales so I can shift weight around in the front to try to equalize the weight between the two sides and the open diff should do better at putting balanced power to the front tires. Thanks for your input :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The transmission housing should be reinforced around the mounting area before using any firmer or solid mount or you may damage the case.

The McPherson strut (DCR)"Drag Straps" or similar suspension shock travel limiting device is designed for track or off road vehicles only and also those that first have upgraded drag racing suspension components. A locking or limited slip differential (better an adjustable unit) should be used with these type of limiters. This device is to cure a traction problem of a specific kind and just adding it could actually decrease launch traction and increasing you ETs.

PL PremiumŪ Polyurethane Construction Adhesive is a poor racers cure attempting to increase the strength of OEM mounts. You would first need to know the #Durometer rating the current supplied product to compare with the OEM mount. The best application is to first start with a NEW mount. Then you would need to carefully apply the Polyurethane Construction Adhesive in such a manor that you would not get air bubbles which would decrease it effectiveness using it as a strengthener. This process is very hard to do and requires preparing the part for best uniform adhesion and carefully controlled temperature during application and setting.
Without these steps you will have unpredictable mount action under load which can greatly effect consistent ETs.

In most cases you will spend more money and time modifying the stock mount then just buying aftermarket semi "solid" mounts and if needed custom order a specific #Durometer for your specific needs.

There are better ways to improve a "NEW" stock mount.

96 SOHC Neon Turbo
Old 09 Dec 2014, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLNeon View Post
I do realise that there are better options out there, But this is a Budget build lol. I knickname it after the Last one I built "EL Cheepo".
^^^^^^

PM me for a better option than the "adhesive".

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN