PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The infamous clunk issue

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2014, 07:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default The infamous clunk issue

Hello everyone, bought my wife an 03 touring edition cruiser a month ago and it has the infamous clunk issue. It mostly happens when I turn the steering wheel and some road bumps.

I have read about the issue and it seems there are a lot of possibilities as to what specifically it could be. What can I do to isolate the issue to an area or a part instead of buying parts and installing them blind?

Thanks
Jose
Old 06 Dec 2014, 08:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: The infamous clunk issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03PTMOM View Post
Hello everyone, bought my wife an 03 touring edition cruiser a month ago and it has the infamous clunk issue. It mostly happens when I turn the steering wheel and some road bumps.

I have read about the issue and it seems there are a lot of possibilities as to what specifically it could be. What can I do to isolate the issue to an area or a part instead of buying parts and installing them blind?

Thanks
Jose
Front or back? The front is usually the sway bar bushings the hold the bar in place. Jack it up use jack stands for safety and shake it. if you can wiggle it, it's to lose. Check the rest of the suspension components for lose while you're there. Two things to check in the rear. The spare and the watts link. Shake these. If really lose on the center bolt or the tie rod ends on the link replace what ever is lose. If spare is lose but you can't tighten any more. You may need to lower the basket and bend the catch hook down some to get it to pull up tight.One other thing I just thought of back there. Grab the shock and shake it. I have had them be lose in the mount and rattle like that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Dec 2014, 08:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

The clunk is in the front only.

Its a clunk and it feels like somethings pops out or in place. I will check today. I just want to go straight to the source, rather than take apart more than I need to.

Thanks
Old 06 Dec 2014, 08:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The clunk is in the front only.

Its a clunk and it feels like somethings pops out or in place. I will check today. I just want to go straight to the source, rather than take apart more than I need to.

Thanks
Better check it pretty soon if you feel it. It has to be two things. Tie rod end or ball joint. Shake the wheel at top and bottom for a lose bearing. The grab at the sides for the tie rod ends. Rule of thumb with the tie rod ends Losen the jamb nut then count the turns that you need to screw it off and install new one to that many turns. You should be close on the alignment. If it has not been monkeyed with.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Dec 2014, 09:14 am
Cool Cruiser

Commonly, this is due to a worn rubber bushing on the front sway bar.
Old 06 Dec 2014, 09:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColTED View Post
Commonly, this is due to a worn rubber bushing on the front sway bar.
I really wish its just that. Would I need press to replace those or no?

Thanks
Old 06 Dec 2014, 09:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I really wish its just that. Would I need press to replace those or no?

Thanks
you have to lift and go under the car to see if it's worn or totally gone.....replace both if they are.
Old 06 Dec 2014, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Checked the sway bar bushings today and found the driver side was torn and passenger side looks spent also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 06 Dec 2014, 06:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Checked the sway bar bushings today and found the driver side was torn and passenger side looks spent also.
good catch!...did you check the other bushings as well while lifted?...It's no.10 on the below diagram:

Old 06 Dec 2014, 06:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Didn't check the others, down below I go again then.

Would this really cause the clunk?