PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
complicated issue to me, probably simple to somebody else

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2014, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default complicated issue to me, probably simple to somebody else

2001 Limited with whipple supercharger 5sp with 72k miles
It has been having overheating problems, losing coolant, but no puddle ever seen underneath it. found that gasket at thermostat was pinched, now replaced, still leaking (ive been running straight distilled water until i get the leak fixed, i have pets outside) I have been maintaining by checking levels everyday and adding as needed, found out that I've not been bleeding air properly.
New problem is it has been dying when stopping/slowing down for turns/stop signs etc. then at 4am on way to work it died while going 65 downhill, but rpms dropped to 0, could still hear/feel engine running, but no power when depressing gas pedal. then it died as it came to stop. it was not overheating when this happened, gauge read at the midline where it is supposed to be. I let is sit for few minutes and tried again, ran for about 5 minutes, same thing. I checked oil, it was reading add 1 qt minimum. I had 5qt jug, so i added oil, it never got to the point of being full. tried several more times to get to work, with no luck, ended up pouring whole 5qt jug into engine. it was dark and raining so i didnt get to look for leak. it has trouble starting now, but when it starts, it idles fine, runs smooth, no cel, no oil light, but wont run long enough to get to normal operating temp.
it's home now, started and drove onto buddy's trailer no problem, won't start at all now, still no visible leaks of cooling system or oil.
Old 07 Dec 2014, 01:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: complicated issue to me, probably simple to somebody else

Time for a compression test. You may have a blown head gasket. Your symptoms sound similar to those when compression is low. Could have jumped time, but it shouldn't have acted any different after letting it set. Beyond that, it will be hard to know since few here have experience with the Whipple.
Old 07 Dec 2014, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Open radiator cap and look in - how does it look? Murky/Cloudy/Brown?
Look at oil dipstick - what does oil look like?
Open oil filler cap and look in - any foam?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Dec 2014, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Time for a compression test. You may have a blown head gasket. Your symptoms sound similar to those when compression is low. Could have jumped time, but it shouldn't have acted any different after letting it set. Beyond that, it will be hard to know since few here have experience with the Whipple.
I don't see any thing different because it's has a whipple. Just forced air induction like our turbos. You need to systematically chase down all the different components with the cooling system. Radiator can spring a leak at certain temp and seal back at a lower temp evaporating the leakage. The hose from the water neck should be checked that it has a tight fit at the water neck. Otherwise it puts coolant in to jug but sucks air back upon cooling. Look for water pump leak. Smell exhaust for coolant if you still had antifreeze in it. Might still be able to run the exhaust gas test if you have run the water long enough. I'm not sure on that one. Any sign of oil in water? Compression test and leak down test would be good just to know.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com