PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt went at 81K miles

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2014, 02:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Timing Belt went at 81K miles

I have a 2001 PT cruiser. The timing belt went after 8 years and 81K miles and bent the valves. It was supposed to last until 100K. I had to get a new valve job for $1,800. Change the belt early and often.
Old 07 Dec 2014, 02:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt went at 81K miles

A belt change is recommended at or before 100K miles, not guaranteed through 100K miles.

Mine died at 92K. No damage though.

I hate to hear your hard luck ! You should be good for another 81K miles now !

-best of luck

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 07 Dec 2014, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkprsn View Post
I have a 2001 PT cruiser. The timing belt went after 8 years and 81K miles and bent the valves. It was supposed to last until 100K. I had to get a new valve job for $1,800. Change the belt early and often.
Did you do the job or have someone do it?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 07 Dec 2014 at 03:59 pm.
Old 07 Dec 2014, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Was it mostly city driving?
Is this the second time the timing belt has failed?
If someone else did the valve job did they show you the bent valves?
Old 07 Dec 2014, 05:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had someone do it. It is difficult due to the size of the engine and compartment. I did see the bent valves. The were really bent, not just a little dinged. I hate interference engines and timing belts in general. I hear they are going back to chains that last for the life of the car.
Old 07 Dec 2014, 05:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If that was the first change, 2001 is more than 8 years ago...

We are skeptical that valves were bent...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Dec 2014, 06:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I had someone do it. It is difficult due to the size of the engine and compartment. I did see the bent valves. The were really bent, not just a little dinged. I hate interference engines and timing belts in general. I hear they are going back to chains that last for the life of the car.
You see that is really odd since the pistons can't hit the valves. In theory only the valves can hit another valve. Which at best you would need to use a liquid to see the bend. Even if you could see it your only talking one or two valves in one cylinder. But If I told a customer it bent valves and pulled head and they wanted to see it. All I would need to do is push the head on to a corner of a table to push out a couple valves and pop them with a hammer for you to see. Because you probly wouldn't want to pay to pull the head if it turned out nothing was wrong with it. Then buy a few valves and pop them back in and profits just when up. No chains are not coming back. Chains this long do last the life of the motor. It's what kills them. When they go it usually destroys the engine. In about 80K. A little secret here The only folks that report bent valves All paid someone to do it.
3rcruiser and boonie2 like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 07 Dec 2014 at 06:38 pm.
Old 07 Dec 2014, 08:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

sounds like you got screwed.....
Old 07 Dec 2014, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The driving was mostly suburban. The 2.4 engine is an interference engine. I was there when the topend was pulled. Car just lost power. That's what happens when the engine is turning 3000 plus rpms and the timing belt snaps. I also had the snapped belt. The valves were bent considerably. I rebuilt the engine and it now has 132K miles and runs great. This damage happened 5 years ago. I just wanted other owners to know what happened. BTY that was the first problem I had with the car. I plan on changing the belt again at 150k since the first one only lasted 80k. All I am saying is that my belt snapped at 81K period.
Old 07 Dec 2014, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The driving was mostly suburban. The 2.4 engine is an interference engine. I was there when the topend was pulled. Car just lost power. That's what happens when the engine is turning 3000 plus rpms and the timing belt snaps. I also had the snapped belt. The valves were bent considerably. I rebuilt the engine and it now has 132K miles and runs great. This damage happened 5 years ago. I just wanted other owners to know what happened. BTY that was the first problem I had with the car. I plan on changing the belt again at 150k since the first one only lasted 80k. All I am saying is that my belt snapped at 81K period.
That fact was never in dispute. It's the other that don't correspond with the known history and mechanical clearances of the 2.4.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com