PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad Camshaft Position Sensor??? Or Weak Battery???

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2014, 05:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Bad Camshaft Position Sensor??? Or Weak Battery???

I got an error P0344, which would normally mean a bad camshaft position sensor.

However, is it possible that low battery voltage is causing the problem?

I ask because:

1) On a couple of sites it says that low battery voltage can cause this error [ P0344 Chrysler Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent Interruption Bank 1 Sensor 1 OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com OBDII Code P0344 CHRYSLER - Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent Interruption Bank 1 Sensor 1 | Nissanhelp.com ], and...

2) I have, over the last couple of years, replaced the camshaft position sensor probably three times already (I admit that I use the cheapo O'Reillys / Kragen part instead of the Mopar paart).

3) I do seem to have recurring problems with my battery connections, which makes me think it is a possible voltage issue.

The Check engine light will come on almost exclusively when I have been waiting at a light for a bit, and then I need to accelerate into traffic. It's happened a couple of times when going up a slight hill. (I am at the base of the hill waiting for traffic to clear, then I have to accelerate to cross traffic.)

I wonder if (maybe) the battery is rocking and then the cables come slightly loose or something.

Anyway, if there is any way to TEST whether it is the camshaft sensor or whether it is a bad battery connection, please let me know.

thanks in advance.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad Camshaft Position Sensor??? Or Weak Battery???

There are numerous places that will test your battery for free...
If your battery connections are clean and tight, the battery can shake quite a bit with no impact.
Also inspect the wiring and connector at the cam sensor - that's often a culprit.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Dec 2014, 05:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

After assuring your connections are good first, it's then really easy to check for low voltage.

To check the alternator, you can use a cheap multimeter set to about 20 volts or so direct current. Just test across the positive and negative battery terminals while the car is running. You should have about 14 volts. That voltage will be coming from the alternator.

Next, having the battery checked is usually free if you have a nearby Autozone, Advance Auto or similar parts store. They can charge and then load test the battery. Usually, a battery that maintains at low voltage will not recover to 12 volts or more after being placed under a load. So it is usually easy to detect.

Most of the time, the problem with low voltage will be in one of these two areas. If not, you may have a periodic problem that will take more work to diagnose. Let us know what you find.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Dec 2014 at 05:16 pm.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 07:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ok, I will try the low voltage checks first to see.

The thing is, I just changed my battery as well about four months ago. They (O'Reilly) put in a different size battery because the battery that was listed in their system wouldn't fit in my battery tray (the OEM one that came with the car).

I'll let you all know.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you put in a Mopar cam sensor??

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 09:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Have you put in a Mopar cam sensor??
No, I have not.

I've replaced the cam sensor two or three times over the years (it's a 2005), and each time I have use an after market part (knowing me, I am sure it was the cheapest brand possible).

so I am 99% sure that I have NOT ever replaced the cam sensor with a Mopar part.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 09:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeephatesme View Post
No, I have not.

I've replaced the cam sensor two or three times over the years (it's a 2005), and each time I have use an after market part (knowing me, I am sure it was the cheapest brand possible).

so I am 99% sure that I have NOT ever replaced the cam sensor with a Mopar part.
It might end up being cheaper than multiple cheap ones...

Old 12 Dec 2014, 10:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest putting in a Mopar Camshaft sensor so that you can eliminate that electronic component as being the problem if the engine trouble code comes up again. Most people don't have time to investigate and analyse every circuit related to the trouble code error unless they are retired.

I had about 50,000 before my first Camshaft sensor went bad and now I have 24,000 on my second Mopar Camshaft sensor with no problems.

When I was having problems with voltage dropping it was kicking out several engine trouble codes at once so I would be surprised if you do have low voltage problems with just a P0344 code.

If the new Mopar Camshaft sensor does not take care of the P0344 code error then I would suggest looking into the possible causes below.

1. Wiring harness fault 5v supply circuit open or shorted to ground
2. Signal circuit is open, shorted to ground or battery voltage
3. 5v supply CMP Sensor ground circuit is open
4. PCM has failed (Last component to check)
Old 13 Dec 2014, 02:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the tips.

Ok, I will look into that, but I will also try to double check on the possible low voltage as well, because I do have a history of batteries dying on me... although I am pretty sure that was due to a loose negative terminal that I have since repaired.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Far as mopar sensors. They are made for them by one of the companies that produce the aftermarkets. And that maker probobly has change over the years with contract bidding.

I have an o3 that was popping the cam code when purchased. Swapped from another of my cars waiting to be fixed. Not sure if replacement was mopar. You can't tell unless made different. Was cronic for the code ,I was told. During the course of repairs I needed a PCM. Cured all my problems. So the grey aftermarket sensor of considerable age still laying in the consol. I decided to see how often this would pop a code. Then dissect it to see the reed switch I thought it had. But no code. ran for months and several thousand miles. One day bam the code came back. Couldn't get it to clear to go home 6 miles pulled lead every thing. So the next day swapped the other one back in and its fine. Sot two days latter I try it again with the spare and wrench to change it if I got out some where. Well it's still going and surpassed the original stay so for. I eventually put the other one back on the project to start it. I did have to replace that battery as it died on me last winter. So maybe you were right. But that ratty old aftermarket sensor is still going strong.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
camshaft position sensor, p0344