Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Electrical Gremlin....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2014, 07:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Electrical Gremlin....

So here is my story... My 03 GT has had more gremlins from suspension issues to electrical issues than I can count. I had the dimming dash and headlights and did plenty of research and have changed the battery added extra grounds to the system and replaced the originals. and now the lights don't dim they are brighter and flash kinda flicker brighter when brake is applied or drain is put on the electrical system. The only other things that are left to replace are the alternator but i don't see a problem with it as it seems to be charging correctly or the PCM needs to be replaced??? Anybody with any experiences like these please chime in as the alternator is a PITA to replace and I don't want to shell out 300 dollars for the PCM if not really needed. Thanks in advance.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 09:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Electrical Gremlin....

Seems to me you made progress, so keep at it - find the original grounds, clean and tighten the connections...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Dec 2014, 12:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Electrical Gremlin....

I have the dimming dash and headlights on one of my PT Cruisers but its barely changing.

I would suggest checking your positive battery cable. You want to make sure there is no resistance in the cables. With the PT Cruiser running you might want to check all around the cables for heat. Check the wires going to the fuse box also.

I would suggest checking the alternator for A/C ripple current. When the pulsations in both the headlights/dash and voltage are present in some of the PT Cruisers, sometimes there is the presence of A/C Ripple current as well. The problem is that a certain amount of ripple current would indicate the alternator is bad but it usually happens intermittently when a load of any kind (radiator fan coming on, turning on the blower fan or just tapping the brakes) is put onto the system. Its not easy to check when its intermittent.

I also find that when I keep the battery fluid level up to the proper levels once a month it seems to help. The cell next to the ground post and the positive post seem to use more battery fluid than the rest of the cells.