Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
TIMING BELT CHANGE INTERVALS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2014, 10:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool TIMING BELT CHANGE INTERVALS

I traded a few posts with a self-identified MOPAR tech on another forum, who had worked on some PT Cruisers. This happened after I had posted two recent newbie posts about valve damage after timing belt let loose; cautioning used PT purchasers to look at mileage and consider asking if the timing belt, water pump, and tensioners have been replaced.

He was totally convinced that our 2.4Ls needed changed at 60K. I posted that it is more like 80-100K.
During that exchange, I came up with a Chrysler chart on recommended intervals for timing belt changes. And, interestingly enough, a note for the 2.4L....."... (a) - Free-wheeling (Valve to Valve interference possible if camshafts are rotated independently)."
So, I'm guessing "how the belt breaks" is a contributing factor to whether there is valve damage.

I had not seen this before. Here's the link...
Timing Belt Replacement Intervals

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 14 Dec 2014, 11:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: TIMING BELT CHANGE INTERVALS

2.3L* Diesel 50,000 Mi.
2.4L* DOHC (a) (2) Caravan & Voyager
2.4L* DOHC (a) PT Cruiser 102,000 Mi.
2.4L* DOHC (a) Turbo 105,000 Mi.

* - Interference engine.

1) - It is a 2.2L, not 2.3 L diesel
2) It says 2.4L* where * means interference engine, which we know is not true...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Dec 2014, 11:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: TIMING BELT CHANGE INTERVALS

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
I traded a few posts with a self-identified MOPAR tech on another forum, who had worked on some PT Cruisers. This happened after I had posted two recent newbie posts about valve damage after timing belt let loose; cautioning used PT purchasers to look at mileage and consider asking if the timing belt, water pump, and tensioners have been replaced.

He was totally convinced that our 2.4Ls needed changed at 60K. I posted that it is more like 80-100K.
During that exchange, I came up with a Chrysler chart on recommended intervals for timing belt changes. And, interestingly enough, a note for the 2.4L....."... (a) - Free-wheeling (Valve to Valve interference possible if camshafts are rotated independently)."
So, I'm guessing "how the belt breaks" is a contributing factor to whether there is valve damage.

I had not seen this before. Here's the link...
Timing Belt Replacement Intervals
Uptown posted pics that showed at least on non running head that they don't touch. The only time we seam to get one that says bent valves is paying someone who says they have bent valves. At worst you wouldn't bend but one or two. If spinning at a high rate of speed and floating the valves. If that is possible. Ask Uptown to post his pic again and see what he thinks. Time factor and kind of driving plays a roll. Sitting for long intervals like with tires can promote dry rot and premature failure as millage goes. Oil and chemical contamination another factor. JMHO

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 14 Dec 2014 at 11:05 pm.