PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New PT Owner needs advice!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2014, 02:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question New PT Owner needs advice!

My wife and I bought a 2006 PT Cruiser tonight. $2500. 160k miles. Good tires. Clean interior. Good paint all around. Very scratches and no oxidation. Car cranked right up, purred like kitten. My wife drove it around the apt complex and low speed and fell in love with it. I suggested we take it out on the road and test it up some hills, because my wife's drive to work is 45 mins and a lot of uphill grades. Odd thing, he insisted on driving it for this test. Ok so the drive did very well, good acceleration, good cornering, nice solid but soft ride. got back then looked under hood and everything looked good for an 06. looked like some spilled fluids that had been there for a while. Battery looked like it was from the protozoic era....pos terminal was a bit loose and sketchy.....well, we bought it....we went from there to eat dinner at a mex restaurant. came back out and the interstate is literally .10 mile from there. I followed her in our Jeep and when she got to the top of the on ramp she said the engine light came on, the dash lights flashed off then back on, lost engine output and then the engine light started flashing. she pulled over and i saw that it was flashing, so we turned it off. waited for a minute, then cranked it back up and the engine light stayed on, and I drove it the hr drive to our interstate exit. no probs at all, just the engine light staying on.....we stopped for gas spent about 20mins there checking for anything weird and found nothing. She got back in the PT and took off. within half a mile she pulled over and said it did the same thing again...i got in it with it still running and saw the blinking engine light. I turned it off. waited a couple of minutes, then tried to start it, it turned over several times and did not start. I smelled no gas smell. I waited another minute and tried it again and it turned several times and then suddenly fired right up. Engine light still on, but not blinking. I then drove it the 26 miles through hilly terrain to our home with not another issue other than the engine light staying on. When we got home, we pulled the battery noticing the positive terminal was looser than one should be and the neg post was tight. My wife works at a store where she can get batteries at a very discounted price. Any advice on which battery (obviously one that fits and has the pos on the left side) and advice on this engine light issue....could a battery cause this? i just read how to get codes, I will do that after putting a fresh battery in. Thanks for any advice you can give me. sorry for the long story but I wanted to be concise with my descriptions. BTW we both dig the hell out of this car and we can't figure out why we didnt get one sooner.

Last edited by adz20mark; 15 Dec 2014 at 02:20 am.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 03:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New PT Owner needs advice!

I would suggest that you get a OBDII Scan Tool immediately. Do not just get a an OBDII Scan Reader, you need an Scan tool so you can reset the engine trouble codes. You will need this tool before you can start to diagnosis what is wrong with your PT Cruiser. I got mine at Harbor Freight at a very reasonable price.

The PT Cruisers are very sensitive to voltage drops so I would suggest you get a batter test load after you clean the posts on the battery and clean both ends of the positive and negative battery cables. Do the battery test load with the battery still in the car if you don't get a new battery.

I like Die Hard batteries but I am sure everyone else here has some other preference.

Let us know what engine trouble codes you get after you get the Scan Tool.

Did it look like the previous owner was trying to avoid driving up the hills?
adz20mark likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Dec 2014 at 03:18 am.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Did it look like the previous owner was trying to avoid driving up the hills?
Actually, no he did drive us up several hills in his neigborhood to show us the acceleration capabilities. Which is why I am so perplexed that it didnt happen then. My wife manages a Tractor Supply and she took the battery in with her this morning and we are going to buy a new one and new terminals also.
I will immediately get one of these scan tools. I presume there is a thread here on how to use it...lol? I am fairly mechanically inclined and also have a great mechanic here in our little town who keeps our 96 Jeep running well.
To be continued.......
Old 15 Dec 2014, 11:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

I'm suspect that he knew there was a problem...he let your wife drive it around...but he had to drive it up the hills...doesn't make much sense to me...unless he wanted to be behind the wheel in case something happened.
GrapeApe and adz20mark like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 15 Dec 2014, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Might be the battery cable being so loose.
Also, there can be issues with ignition switch being intermittent.
Something you can do right away:
How to retrieve fault codes.
To get a handle on the check engine light.
I don't think you paid too much, and once you get this solved, you ought to be pleased...
adz20mark likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Dec 2014, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Without a scan tool that can read redness files. You can't see them after battery pull. Wil have to drive it till the lights come back.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Dec 2014, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Without a scan tool that can read redness files. You can't see them after battery pull. Will have to drive it till the lights come back.
Yeah I thought about that this morning, after she took off with the battery. That's ok though, it most certainly needed a new battery as it was an Interstate that was at least 5yrs old, if not older. and the terminals were really ugly too. the pos terminal was like finger tight and wiggled when I put the wrench to it....So this would have been addressed anyway.
I am just hoping this solves the engine light issue.
I am going to order a scan reader today.
Thanks for the responses, this is a very cool forum here.
Lots of good info!!
I will post some photos of mine when we get her all prettied up.
Where might one find replacement badges? My side badges that say "Signature Series" are almost bare....
Old 15 Dec 2014, 02:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: New PT Owner needs advice!

I would almost bet something valuable that it was the bad battery cable/contacts.
adz20mark likes this.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 15 Dec 2014 at 08:31 pm.
Old 16 Dec 2014, 11:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Update:
Soooooo....
Bought a Silver series 26R battery from Advance w/2yr warranty. $104 after discount.
I remember when batteries were $35. Eh, waddaya gonna do? Got it in quite easily.
Terminal ends are maxed out, ragged, corroded, ugly, loose, and frankly insulting (sounds like my 1st wife) to the new battery.
Thus, I have decided that this occasion warrants new terminal ends.
My wife has left for Napa to pick them up. (God, I hope these type are in stock)
I do not want to strip off the factory spade clips on the ends. Lalalalalalala.....
*twiddling thumbs*

To be continued......

"I'm not afraid to leave this world just as I entered it. Bloody and screaming"
Old 16 Dec 2014, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz20mark View Post
Update:
Soooooo....
Bought a Silver series 26R battery from Advance w/2yr warranty. $104 after discount.
I remember when batteries were $35. Eh, waddaya gonna do? Got it in quite easily.
Terminal ends are maxed out, ragged, corroded, ugly, loose, and frankly insulting (sounds like my 1st wife) to the new battery.
Thus, I have decided that this occasion warrants new terminal ends.
My wife has left for Napa to pick them up. (God, I hope these type are in stock)
I do not want to strip off the factory spade clips on the ends. Lalalalalalala.....
*twiddling thumbs*

To be continued......

well I would sugest that you make sure the entire cable is not all nasty some timwes they will be bad in the middle and not give you a good connection

Tags
2006 pt cruiser, advice, battery replacement, engine light, engine light flashing