Advertisements
What are the Odds ?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TD2593

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2014, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What are the Odds ?

I have my niece's 2002 PT that she said just quit My father in law buys it from her for a couple hundred bucks and brings it to me and says here's a parts car for you and your wife since you have a PT. I say cool thanks ! I put a battery in it and spin it over it sounds just like it has jumped time or broken a belt. I tear into it the belt is fine and in time. Now's when the truth comes out, this is what I have found, she has apparently ran it off the road, or curb pushed the bottom of the radiator support into the trans and a/c compressor breaking the lower radiator mounts thus losing all the coolant and ran it till it quit. Now whats the odds of it just being a blown head gasket ? As soon as the rainy weather quits ( no room in the shop ) Im going to go ahead and pull the head just to see, what is sad is it only has 115k on it.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What are the Odds ?

sounds like a ok deal pull the head check that it=f it turns over its not locked up these are some pretty tough motors
Old 15 Dec 2014, 02:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is the second one I have had dealings with that has quit from being run hot. The first one had badly scorned cylinder walls. Im hoping this is not that case with this one. Would be cool to have another work car .
Old 15 Dec 2014, 07:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: What are the Odds ?

maybe you could use it as a pit car for the twin turbo Olds dragster!

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 15 Dec 2014, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Best of luck on the outcome. Let us know what you find out.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Dec 2014, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like you have nothing to lose - best of luck... and never loan a car to that niece!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Dec 2014, 09:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
maybe you could use it as a pit car for the twin turbo Olds dragster!
LOL I may just have to do that

On a side note I have the head off. The head gasket is fine, cylinders walls all look great. Im really surprised at how clean the chambers and piston tops are. The only thing I can figure is she got it hot enough that the lifters collapsed and that is why it quit and sounded like it had jumped time when I tried to start it, I have seen this before on a couple of different v8 engines one being a Cutlass that I had at 18 yrs old and a Ford 460 of a buddy of mine. I have a head gasket set with bolts on the way along with a new radiator. I have to pull the lower radiator support back out and straighten that up where she ran over something and did the damage causing the overheating. Cleaning everything up and checking out the head and hopefully have it back together next week.
Old 16 Dec 2014, 10:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You putting in a new timing belt? I know you said it looked fine, but at 115K it is due, and if you're going thru all that work and have it off anyway to get the head off....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 16 Dec 2014, 10:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

It had a belt put on at 96000 but Im going to put a new one on anyway with a new water pump and install the later style belt tensioner. I just so happen to have the back belt cover from a 03 that we changed motors in back in the spring.
Old 16 Dec 2014, 11:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD2593 View Post
It had a belt put on at 96000 but Im going to put a new one on anyway with a new water pump and install the later style belt tensioner. I just so happen to have the back belt cover from a 03 that we changed motors in back in the spring.
Wise man...