PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gurgling water sound from engine bay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2014, 12:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gurgling water sound from engine bay

Hi all,

My UK/Export 2.4 PT (2004) has been driving remarkably well last few months but just today I got back to it and started the engine (it hadn't had chance to cool down much as I was only in a store for about 10 mins) and I heard a bubbling/gurgling sound from just in front of the drivers side.

This sound kept happening when accelerating from idle.

My initial thought was head gasket perhaps had failed (call me negative...), but (so far at least) no sign of coolant in the oil. The oil level seems normal, coolant level also seems normal.

Bit puzzled - what should I be checking?

Steve
Old 18 Dec 2014, 02:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Gurgling water sound from engine bay

Gurgling water sound would most likely indicate a head gasket issue, how many miles on the car? Has it ever overheated?
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Very well could be the water in the overflow bottle of the radiator sitting next to the firewall. If your overheating at all, that's the coolant that will sound like gurgling and eventually push out through the top of the container. Although this usually happens when idling or after you stop the engine.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 03:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Check to see that the coolant level is 'full' to where it should be. It might just be down a little.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You left it idling whilst in store???
BAD - you get zero MPG while idling...
Where was temperature gauge?
Check to see engine fan is operating - the gurgling sound is water bubbling into overflow bottle.
When car is cold, open radiator cap and top off to the brim, then add water to overflow bottle...
Your headgasket WILL fail if you do not attend to this....but the sound is likely not due to headgasket.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Dec 2014, 11:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest opening the radiator cap when its cold, make sure its full of coolant, start it up and after engine gets up to normal temperature see if you are getting a lot of bubbles coming out of the radiator.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 06:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry I wasn't clear - it was parked up (engine off) while I was in store, but I'd been driving for 45 mins previous to stopping so the engine wouldn't have cooled down.

When I came back out of the store and started up again (engine temp still exactly middle on the gauge as it tends to sit) I heard the bubbling/gurgling sound when I tapped the accelerator.

When I got home and waited for it to cool it had lost around a pint of coolant.

I had to drive last night (typically vet emergency in the middle of the night and had to get our dog to the clinic) so I topped up the coolant again, made the journey to the clinic and back (around 90 miles round trip as we're in the middle of nowhere). This morning the coolant had dropped again by about half a pint of coolant.

Engine oil level normal (middle of min & max on dipper). No sign of white goo, or black smoke from exhaust.

Driving home last night the temp gauge did jump up very slightly above the half way mark where it normally sits - but the car has never overheated.
Fans are working, Radiator cap seems fine.

I've just dropped it at a garage to see if they can confirm head gasket or otherwise.

78K miles on clock - suddenly getting expensive this year having had most of it's suspension system replaced (UK Roads are rubbish) so not sure if I'll get it fixed if it is the head, cost is likely to be most of what the car is worth sadly.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 07:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stek2008 View Post
I've just dropped it at a garage to see if they can confirm head gasket or otherwise.
That was a good idea, before anything gets worse.
If it is the head gasket, spend the extra $100-$150 & replace the timing belt & water pump whiles it's apart. Otherwise, you might be spending $1200 later on.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 19 Dec 2014, 09:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest making sure you don't have air in the coolant system. I would do a coolant leak test to see if the coolant is leaking somewhere else allowing air in the coolant system. Sometimes the hose from the radiator cap to the overflow tank goes bad and allows air to into the coolant system.