Advertisements
2002 No Spark

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2014, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 No Spark

This is on the car that I just replaced the head gasket and Tbelt on What are the Odds ? The car was DOA when I got it here so I dont know if the reason for it quitting on her was from overheating or no spark ? This is what I have done to the car thus far, pulled the head, looked fine, new head gasket and bolts along with new timing belt and the usual when a new belt is installed. I get ready to fire this thing off and no start. Start with fuel psi check, that's good. Then on to the spark. It is getting no spark. I have replaced the coil pack, cam sync, and crank sensor, and checked for broken or shorted wires in and around the crank sensor and check all fuses. I coded it and on first codes I get P1684, P0601 and P1193 I clear the codes and disconnect the battery, reconnect and crank the engine over and see if it sets the same codes the only code it got this time is P0601. Is this thing have a dead ECM ? Im getting deep into this thing now LOL, It is beginning to become a quest now. What am I missing on this project ???
Old 19 Dec 2014, 08:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 No Spark

Did you use Mopar sensors? There are reports of some aftermarket sensors not working.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Dec 2014, 09:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I used Borg Warner, we dont have a MOPAR dealership in town anymore. It got dark and cold so I left it for the night. To much other stuff in the shop, man I need to get some stuff done and moved so I can work inside
Old 19 Dec 2014, 10:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Did you use Mopar sensors? There are reports of some aftermarket sensors not working.
Aftermarket will work, sometimes they just don't last as long.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 19 Dec 2014, 10:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD2593 View Post
I used Borg Warner, we dont have a MOPAR dealership in town anymore. It got dark and cold so I left it for the night. To much other stuff in the shop, man I need to get some stuff done and moved so I can work inside
Often it's the wiring to the sensors.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Dec 2014, 12:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking your Intake Air Temperature Sensor connector and see if its damaged or it is open.

I would also check the wiring between the IAT Sensor and PCM.

If the above two suggestions are okay then I would suggest checking the IAT Sensor.

if the IAT Sensor is okay then there might be a possibility your PCM needs to be checked out. Sometimes bad sensors can make the PCM look like it needs to be replaced so you need to make sure sensors are okay first before looking at the PCM. You might want to try and find out why your system voltage is over 10.5 volts with the ignition on.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 20 Dec 2014 at 01:17 am.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 01:29 am
Senior Cruiser

The wireing connector to the cam position sensor and the coil are interchangeable. I did this to mine when changing a wireing harness.
Good luck. Merry Christmas...
LionPT likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 20 Dec 2014, 09:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
The wireing connector to the cam position sensor and the coil are interchangeable. I did this to mine when changing a wireing harness.
Good luck. Merry Christmas...

Feel kinda silly now, my brother came up yesterday as I was finishing up and he routed the wiring harness and plugged everything back up. He nor I knew that the cam sync and the coil back shared the same connector. Soooooooo, Joe you hit the nail right on the head ! Moved the connections to the correct location, and checked for fire and it tried to start. Put the plug back in and fired her off. Runs a little rough, going to put in a new set of plugs. Now I have to install the radiator and new upper motor mount and drive it around and see how it makes out. I am still getting the P0601 code so I assume that the PCM is going to have to be replaced. Thanks guys for all the tips. Something to be said for been there done that experience !!