PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The Handy Camshaft Recommendation Thread

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2014, 03:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default The Handy Camshaft Recommendation Thread

I will be changing out my timing belt as soon as the weather turns. That will not be long here in Arkansas. And in the meantime I am amassing parts for the job.

One of the principle options I am considering is a set of performance camshafts. Frankly, the Stage 1 PCM gives me all the "gitty up and go" I want in a compact wagon. And I love the sound of the engine. But I am missing that "thump" and low torque that performance cams have given me in the past in V8 engines. I would like to try and get that feeling and experience in my PT. And I also want the cams to work well with other future mods I may decide to try with the understanding that I am not going racing in a PT, ever.

The law of diminishing returns is important here. That means that in most mechanical systems, we get around 80% effect for 20% of the effort. The other 80% of the effort is required to get anything near 100% which is never really reached anyway. Thus, the best state is usually when we design around 80% effect in the first place. This provides maximum output per effort. Applied to a camshaft, this means I want a cam set that will give me the vast majority of the promised gains without the need for fine timing adjustments. I will index the cam if the gains are worth it. But only in that case. And I won't be visiting a tuner. The majority of the required cam timing needs to be designed into the cam itself where it will function at near peak performance for a stock engine while set to zero advance. This is easily accomplished with many street cams for V8's and it should be with our little 4-bangers too.

I'd like to hear from those that actually have used performance camshafts in their PT's and those with good ideas and links to other good information specific to the PT. I welcome input from experts. But know that I value consensus over one person's opinion. I know lots of people that make and sell things. That doesn't impress me, but buying good things from a friend with my interest at heart is always my first choice. So I don't want bravado, I want a great cam set. I also don't want PM's or secret phone calls. I just want open civil and polite discussion. And hope others will find this thread helpful in the future. So let's not destroy it with chest thumping and debates.

Thanks for your input. I look forward to finding a great cam set for my needs. So please, help me out.

PS: This is for a stock 2005 PT GT automatic with an unmodified Stage 1 PCM. I will be using the Gates blue racing timing belt and all other Gates products for the timing belt job. I don't want to add variable timing sprockets but will consider it if the benefits are high enough. But only then.
soyomb and JoeCruiser like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Dec 2014 at 04:22 pm.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 04:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: The Handy Camshaft Recommendation Thread

Amen! Well said Handy

Last edited by JoeCruiser; 21 Dec 2014 at 04:32 pm. Reason: Wanted to quote
Old 21 Dec 2014, 04:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For members just tuning(pun) in..

here is the most current camshaft in the last 5+plus years that was specifically tested and engineered by a PT Cruiser owner and camshaft designer.

There is NO other camshaft company that specifically did the R&D with any PT Cruiser specific camshaft to date!

NS PT CAMSHAFTS another idea?
NS PT CAMSHAFTS another idea?

This cam set can only be purchased through Thunper Perfromance a vendor on this forum.
If a member so chooses there are few CROWER spe'd camshaft sets that can be purchased through that vendor if someone feels the need for something for a track type set up.
WE (CROWER) can also design any custom camshaft off of new raw billets to meet most any needs.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Dec 2014, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talk about chest thumping Lynn. Your first post was completely uncalled for and added NOTHIING to the thread except your down talking to Handy's post. Your second post is all that is needed with "helpful" information if someone cares to listen.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
.....Your first post was completely uncalled for and added NOTHIING to the thread ........
Your second post is all that is needed with "helpful" information if someone cares to listen.
Well those I wanted to read it did! Now lets see if you continue to moderate everyone on this thread?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Dec 2014, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not to worry Lynn, your the ONLY one on the forum lately that seems to enjoy bragging about yourself and putting everybody else down that dares say something so I'll just be moderating yours.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Not to worry Lynn, your the ONLY one on the forum lately that seems to enjoy bragging about yourself and putting everybody else down that dares say something so I'll just be moderating yours.
wow power of moderation also makes you a censor and judge as well!

I copied my last response as a quote for future reference!
PT Cruiser owners seem to want to stay in the past and not really move to forward. What you think is bragging is the point well missed by me. Maybe members just like to be with equals and not have someone actually help them that has a bit more experience.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Dec 2014, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep, moderator, sensor, judge and jury!

Helping is one thing, what you do is another. You can't stop yourself from making anyone you talk to feel inadequate. Just say what you want but quit talking down to people like your God's gift to mankind.

RULE: - Respect each other and the community.

WELCOME and Forum Rules

Old 21 Dec 2014, 07:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yep, moderator, sensor, judge and jury!

Helping is one thing, what you do is another. You can't stop yourself from making anyone you talk to feel inadequate. Just say what you want but quit talking down to people like your God's gift to mankind.

RULE: - Respect each other and the community.
well at times that seems vague? And who ever is in better forum graces at a given time. How about to go back and see where this all started? From members that have little to no EXPERIENCE with thread material but posting information that is basically inaccurate or just plain wrong and me coming along and correcting them or the information?

I have respect for those that do the same. Because you or other don't like my direct and truthful responses is personal problem.

Mike TP looks like the thread got closed (familiar?)so you will need to "help" with posting useful information about from the short block up on this thread? (LOL)

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Dec 2014 at 07:39 pm.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 07:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lynn, your direct and truthful response, if you care to re-read what you post, is nothing more that putting down the person your talking to. It's not a personal problem for me until I see that time after time your not respecting the person your responding to. Then it's a problem for me if I let it go.

That's just it. Your not just " coming along and correcting them or the information". I had asked you to do that several times. You belittle the person who said it and go on and on.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Dec 2014 at 07:43 pm.