PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fule pump works, but no fule to the engine?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2014, 11:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Fule pump works, but no fule to the engine?

Hi everyone!

I'm completely new to the forum, so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section here

Today my automatic 2007 PT Cruiser died in the parking lot of my Significant Other's work place. Luckily my S.O., his boss, and another co-worker were able to help me push the car to a repair shop that was within the same business plaza (thank goodness for that, saved me from having to get it towed). The mechanic said he wouldn't be able to get a good look at my car until tomorrow though.

I was curious as to if anyone had even the faintest idea as to what could possibly be going on with the poor thing. I stopped by my S.O.'s work to drop off his lunch, then we jumped in the car to use his hour lunch break to grab some last minute Christmas items for our son. I went to start the car and turned the key. It made the sound it would normally make while turning the key except it failed to start.

I turned it off and waited about a minute then tried again. Once more it failed to start. I repeated this four or five more times with no luck. Not wanting to push the car too much I decided to leave it alone. By this time my S.O. ran over to the mechanic shop a few doors over and had a mechanic pop over to run a diagnostic.

The only issues that popped up were my camshaft position sensor (I was waiting until after Christmas to buy a replacement) and the error code for the evap system. I had read a few posts stating the evap code was reffering to issues with the gas cap and had intended on getting a new one after Christmas as well.

The mechanic then hooked some hose thinger (a fantastically detailed description I know :P) into the engine and puttered around and asked if I had any gas in my car. I told him I had three quartets of tank as I had filled up not long ago. He then did some more trouble shooting, curious as to if my fule pump was working, but it was quickly determined that the pump was indeed engaging when the car was turned on.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on with my poor car? I know the mechanic said he would look at it first thing tomorrow, but I've heard time and time again of mechanics trying to get you to spend a bunch of money fixing things that aren't really broken. And with all the holiday shenanigans I can't really afford any other unexpected expenses

Thank you all for your help!

Happy Holidays
Old 22 Dec 2014, 11:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fule pump works, but no fule to the engine?

Looks like the mechanic is trying to find as many problems as possible to increase the bill.

I would suggest tell the mechanic to only replace the camshaft sensor. Also it's not recommend to buy aftermarket sensors for the PT Cruisers. That should get your engine going. If it doesn't then let us know what engine trouble codes you get after the camshaft sensor is replaced. Make sure you get the engine trouble codes and not rely on the mechanic to tell you what the the code stands for.

You have a tremendous amount of support here on this forum and we don't give up unless the problem is solved.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Dec 2014 at 11:52 pm.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 12:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Looks like the mechanic is trying to find as many problems as possible to increase the bill.

I would suggest tell the mechanic to only replace the camshaft sensor. Also it's not recommend to buy aftermarket sensors for the PT Cruisers. That should get your engine going. If it doesn't then let us know what engine trouble codes you get after the camshaft sensor is replaced. Make sure you get the engine trouble codes and not rely on the mechanic to tell you what the the code stands for.

You have a tremendous amount of support here on this forum and we don't give up unless the problem is solved.
The other thing that I forgot to mention is although my fule pump was indeed engaging when the car was turned on, there was no fule going to the engine. Would the camshaft sensor issue cause my car to refuse to send fule to the engine?

I know the camshaft position sensor has forced my car into the limp home mode before, but never has my car just died like this. Over the past few weeks it has been having start issues, but it would always start on the second go. So much for just riding it out until after Christmas
Old 23 Dec 2014, 12:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have had the camshaft sensors not allow me to start the engine on my PT Cruiser and have it cut in and out on my wife's PT Cruiser.
I would suggest focusing on fixing all problems that are triggering the engine trouble codes before checking anything else. Make sure the engine trouble codes are reset with the OBII Scan tool and then try starting it.
Right now I would suggest making sure you have spark first. When we verify that you do have spark then we can focus on the fuel issue if you have one.
Did you buy an aftermarket camshaft sensor?
Old 23 Dec 2014, 12:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
I have had the camshaft sensors not allow me to start the engine on my PT Cruiser and have it cut in and out on my wife's PT Cruiser.
I would suggest focusing on fixing all problems that are triggering the engine trouble codes before checking anything else. Make sure the engine trouble codes are reset with the OBII Scan tool and then try starting it.
Right now I would suggest making sure you have spark first. When we verify that you do have spark then we can focus on the fuel issue if you have one.
Did you buy an aftermarket camshaft sensor?
I haven't gotten any parts for it yet, we just managed to push the car into the parking stall for the shop in the business plaza to ensure it will be secure for the night before I had to get our son from daycare. I'll be dropping off my S.O.'s boss's car tomorrow at the same plaza as the shop, so I will pop by to see what is going on.

My father in law is a parts guy, he gets everything at cost. My S.O. said he was going to give him a call for me and see if he could run out a camshaft sensor tomorrow to the shop. Not sure if he got a hold of him though, I guess I'll figure it out once he gets back home from the staff Christmas party this evening.

I really detest dealing with mechanics, be it private shops or via the dealership. I'm not overly car savvy and I always feel on edge, like they are going to try and take advantage of the fact that I don't know a whole lot about my vehicle and run my bill up simply for profits.

^ This is how I generally feel while talking to/ dealing with [most] mechanics
Old 23 Dec 2014, 02:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with Steve - start with a Mopar, not replacement, sensor.
How was it determined no fuel was getting to engine, but pump was working??? That is a rare combination..

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Dec 2014, 03:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Agree with Steve - start with a Mopar, not replacement, sensor.
How was it determined no fuel was getting to engine, but pump was working??? That is a rare combination..
When the mechanic came by, he brought this odd tube device. I have no idea what it was or what it is called. It had a long thin tube that hooked onto a threaded bit on what I am assuming was the fuel line going to the engine. The tube then ran to a gage of some sort, then it had another tube coming off of it. My guess is that it was to measure the fuel going into the engine? (Again, I'm not car savvy at all, so I am desperately grasping at straws here).

He seemed oddly puzzled that the gage wasn't reading anything despite all of his efforts. He even thought that I may have legitimately ran out of gas because I "forgot to fill it up". But I had three quarters of a tank in there.

We both then sat in the car and he got me to turn the car off, then on (not starting the engine though), and you could hear the fuel pump engage..

The other thing (and I am begging this isn't the case) is I am in the process of filing criminal harassment charges against someone in my building and I am in the process of relocating to a different home. The person I am dealing with has vandalised my car before, and frankly I am terrified she may have done something to it (i.e. put something in the gas tank).

I feel absolutely lost and frankly rather stupid in the situation :\
Old 23 Dec 2014, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest taking the intake air intake off of the throttle body and spray some starter fluid in it. See if the engine starts to run. If it does then you might have a fuel pump that is running but is leaking internally. This is one of the oldest tricks for mechanics so i am surprised it hasn't been done yet.

I would suggest getting a locking gas cap that is made for the PT Cruisers to keep anyone from putting anything in the gas tank. This is something I did when I first got my PT Cruisers.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The cam position sensor controls timing. I assume it then would control the injector timing as well. That may be why you have no fuel. Look around inside the fuel door to see if you have any kind of residue that doesn't look normal. Replace the part you know you need before agreeing to other repairs. I personally have a aftermarket sensor in mine. It failed to run correctly one day in that time I believe it to be a connector problem. It's very old and a light gray color. No doubt it's aftermarket.
LionPT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Dec 2014, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I would suggest taking the intake air intake off of the throttle body and spray some starter fluid in it. See if the engine starts to run. If it does then you might have a fuel pump that is running but is leaking internally. This is one of the oldest tricks for mechanics so i am surprised it hasn't been done yet.

I would suggest getting a locking gas cap that is made for the PT Cruisers to keep anyone from putting anything in the gas tank. This is something I did when I first got my PT Cruisers.
Agree. The engine should at least "cough". If it does, you have spark, and can then look for the fuel problem.
Does where youpark have security cameras? They often only save for so long - might want to speak to security to save the last day or so, in case...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Tags
died, error codes, starting problems