PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Yep another timing question :/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2014, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Yep another timing question :/

So once again here comes another of those pesky timing belt questions..lol

After reading through all the how to's and as many posts as possible I bought the parts and went to work. The amount of aggravation at getting to the darn belt is understated but I managed it. After getting the water pump changed and getting it all mostly back together I had one heck of a time getting the belt on the tensioner not to mention trying to align the timing marks and crank gear marks.
LOng story short its all back together and running but has the smallest of chop on idle. Not super noticeable and goes away after a minute or two. Could the timing be off enough to cause this? Its not pulling any error codes and runs fine at 1000 rpm and up but at idle it gets just a little bit of chop and hesitation.

Also how do you manage to keep the crank from moving off mark when pulling the belt up tight enough to go over the tensioner?
Old 24 Dec 2014, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Yep another timing question :/

This is a real good reason to take pics before you button them up. If you read the harmonic balancer thread that's my pics. I f you ask me If mine is in time. All I have to do is look back at those. It's easy to doubt one self after a bit if something comes up. If the timing is off at all That is your problem. If It was close enough that's not going to work. If your sure that when you spun it around and the lined up right. Check over you vac lines and intake seals for leaks. Year and type of engine and millsge would be good info to.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Dec 2014, 04:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, I should have put a bit more info in there.

It's an 05 no turbo with around 88000 miles on it. Timing belt stripped the teeth off it at the crank so It was time for a new one. Thats a good idea about taking pics.
As much of a bear as it is to get the timing marks lined up I triple checked the line up before buttoning this thing up and even gave it a short run while it was up on the jack still.

I called myself reading through the thread but I guess I need to hit it again.
Old 24 Dec 2014, 05:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeterman View Post
Sorry, I should have put a bit more info in there.

It's an 05 no turbo with around 88000 miles on it. Timing belt stripped the teeth off it at the crank so It was time for a new one. Thats a good idea about taking pics.
As much of a bear as it is to get the timing marks lined up I triple checked the line up before buttoning this thing up and even gave it a short run while it was up on the jack still.

I called myself reading through the thread but I guess I need to hit it again.
If your really sure then give a close inspection to the other things I mentioned.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Dec 2014, 11:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll give it a solid look under the hood this weekend.

Was talking it over with my uncle this evening and telling him what a PITA it is to change that belt and just laughed and said I know. He was saying that way he changes em is to line the cams up and clamp em together with a pair of vice grips and small aluminum shim between them, rotates the crank almost a quarter turn. Pulls the slack on the belt and let it pull the crank back around and tightens the tensioner.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 10:52 am
Cool Cruiser

I know the feeling. The exhaust cam was like one tooth off in its natural state when I did mine. Keeping everything lined up while working the belt on was very difficult. Especially by myself. So I called a buddy. I had him hold two breaker bars on each cam while I walked the belt on, all the time watching the crank pulley to make sure it didnt move. I rotated a couple times, everything still lined up dead on. My only concern is the fact that in order to get the cam pulley marks lined up perfect, its almost like I was walking up on the cam, compressing a valve spring slightly. I don't believe it was enough to open the valve at all, but still bothered me. So my question was. Is the exhaust cam supposed to be one tooth off? I guess I should have took pictures. I didnt buy the car new, so did someone do it wrong before? I had a burned exhaust valve and had to change the head, which was the reason to dive into this. So I questioned everything. But, you surely need two people, or a clamp like you used for this job.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
I know the feeling. The exhaust cam was like one tooth off in its natural state when I did mine. Keeping everything lined up while working the belt on was very difficult. Especially by myself. So I called a buddy. I had him hold two breaker bars on each cam while I walked the belt on, all the time watching the crank pulley to make sure it didnt move. I rotated a couple times, everything still lined up dead on. My only concern is the fact that in order to get the cam pulley marks lined up perfect, its almost like I was walking up on the cam, compressing a valve spring slightly. I don't believe it was enough to open the valve at all, but still bothered me. So my question was. Is the exhaust cam supposed to be one tooth off? I guess I should have took pictures. I didnt buy the car new, so did someone do it wrong before? I had a burned exhaust valve and had to change the head, which was the reason to dive into this. So I questioned everything. But, you surely need two people, or a clamp like you used for this job.
Here is what the marks are supposed to look like.
HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Jan 2015, 12:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes, I feel better now. Thats how I lined mine up