PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No Start Need ideas

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2014, 12:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No Start Need ideas

The 2002 I just put a head on was running excellent, ran smoother than my wifes 2007. I have put around 50 miles on this thing seems like all was well, ran like new. The day before Christmas Eve I drove it and it developed a rough idle. Got it home didnt have time to mess with it had to go to work. Well on Christmas Eve it wouldnt start only a intermittent hit. It has fuel and spark so I thought maybe the belt jumped a tooth who knows, So I pull it all apart and it is in perfect time. I put the original crank sensor back in and the cam sync with the same results Im running out of ideas. ??????????
Old 26 Dec 2014, 01:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No Start Need ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD2593 View Post
The 2002 I just put a head on was running excellent, ran smoother than my wifes 2007. I have put around 50 miles on this thing seems like all was well, ran like new. The day before Christmas Eve I drove it and it developed a rough idle. Got it home didnt have time to mess with it had to go to work. Well on Christmas Eve it wouldnt start only a intermittent hit. It has fuel and spark so I thought maybe the belt jumped a tooth who knows, So I pull it all apart and it is in perfect time. I put the original crank sensor back in and the cam sync with the same results Im running out of ideas. ??????????
No codes? check the harness for the cam and crank harness for chaffing. Are the plugs wet? Not wet not delivering fuel. Even if you hear the fuel pump.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Dec 2014, 03:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No codes other than the P0601, checked the connections. Plugs are wet with fuel. Next step Im getting a set of plugs just for the heck of it. Im going to do a compression check also. It make no sense, running perfectly a couple of days ago. I really cant see it having an issue with cranking compression with how well it was running. Im wondering if the PCM has taken a crap ?
Old 26 Dec 2014, 05:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Check your coil connection, may have come loose... Lets pray
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 26 Dec 2014, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had already changed the coil pack. Just put in a fresh set of spark plugs, got it to fire up, really hard starting and runs extremely rough with a dead miss at idle, still no codes other than the P0601. I thought maybe the EGR was stuck open so I made an solid aluminum gasket blocking the EGR and no change. You can bring the RPM up and it starts cleaning up around 2000 or so and runs smooth about 3000 RPM. May pull the lower intake and check for leaks there. Im still going to do a compression check on all 4.
Old 27 Dec 2014, 09:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

What is the cause of the lifter ( hydraulic lash adjuster ) over extending for lack of a better term, or pumping up too tight and holding the valves open slightly. This appears to be the the cause of the problem. When I put the head back on I used a set of lash adjusters from a 2003 model. As soon as I can Im pulling the cams and putting the original lash adjusters back in.
Old 27 Dec 2014, 12:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

I vaguely remember someone saying the plug for the coil pack is identical to the plug that goes to the iac or something. try swapping the 2 plugs that look the same.
Old 27 Dec 2014, 01:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
I vaguely remember someone saying the plug for the coil pack is identical to the plug that goes to the iac or something. try swapping the 2 plugs that look the same.

Coil & Camshaft Sensor...but since his car was running, that's not it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 30 Dec 2014, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD2593 View Post
What is the cause of the lifter ( hydraulic lash adjuster ) over extending for lack of a better term, or pumping up too tight and holding the valves open slightly. This appears to be the the cause of the problem. When I put the head back on I used a set of lash adjusters from a 2003 model. As soon as I can Im pulling the cams and putting the original lash adjusters back in.
What else did you mess with?
If you put new head on, recheck head bolts.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Dec 2014, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here's an update on the no start. I just got it going and have 19 miles on it.

I did a leak down and found that I all the intake valves were leaking badly, as the car was running excellent the day before I assumed that the lash adjusters were the problem. So I pulled all the rockers and air back on the cylinders and still had bad leakage into the intake tract. So off comes the head again. Once I get the head off and apart ( I didnt disassemble the head for the prior head gasket ) I find that there is heavy varnish on the intake valve stems causing them to stick partially open thus causing the leakage. I guess that when she got it hot that it baked the oil on the stems, and then again I have no idea what oil was ran it this thing for that matter. This is the first time Ive seen this happen on anything I have worked on. So I clean the valves and guides. Do a quick grind on the seats and valves and surface the head and reassembled the head. Done the usual for head replacement, hit the starter and she fired off right away ran smooth like it should.

This is something that I WILL check next time !